Source for Gravely 5665 clutches and planetaries?

/ Source for Gravely 5665 clutches and planetaries? #1  

linrick1

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1900, Steiner 430
Is anyone aware of a source for clutches and planetaries for a 5665 project that I am about to begin? I have found them new but they are prohibitively expensive, any alternatives or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Rick

/ Source for Gravely 5665 clutches and planetaries? #2  
The best alternative is to find another machine with acceptable clutches,,, etc,,,

I found this one for $250,,, two hours from my house,,

Actually, I got both machines in the trailer, and blade, mower, and sulky for $300 total,,

5665g_zpsc0092e03.jpg

The 5665 hour-meter,, 61 hours.

5665c_zpsd050fad9.jpg

This load came from a scrapyard,, The scrapyard guy was happy!! :thumbsup:

/ Source for Gravely 5665 clutches and planetaries? #3  
Last H/L Kohler engined planetary I bought off of Ebay, came out of a later pro series. The clutches came out of an old L I had lying around. Are your ring and orbit gears destroyed?

/ Source for Gravely 5665 clutches and planetaries?
The poor old girl was run for a considerable amount of time with segments of the clutch lining gone which in turn loaded the planetaries unevenly, wrecking the bushings of the orbit gears. I think I can re-bush the planetaries but the clutch lining has me stumped.

/ Source for Gravely 5665 clutches and planetaries? #5  
Best parts source I know of is Richard's L&G in Spencer WV. They sell both new and used parts IIRC.

/ Source for Gravely 5665 clutches and planetaries? #6  
The poor old girl was run for a considerable amount of time with segments of the clutch lining gone which in turn loaded the planetaries unevenly, wrecking the bushings of the orbit gears. I think I can re-bush the planetaries but the clutch lining has me stumped.

Ok you have something to work with. The planetary I had gotten off Ebay was used as my original exploded, it came out of a much later Pro series likely with a few hours on it or left outside so they parted it. Anyways the bushings in the orbit gears were a bit loose in my opinion so I looked up new ones. The new bushings were pretty spendy from Gravely so off to Tractor Supply I went, I found bushings that had the proper OD, proper ID but were to long and didn't have the oil hole. Pretty easy fix, set up the lathe and trimmed them to the correct length then put them back into the orbit gears set them in the drill press and drilled the oiling holes. Gravely wanted a ridiculous amount for those little bushings, made my own for less than 10 dollars and some time. You don't need fancy tools either, I could have easily used a hacksaw and a file to fit the bushings and a hand drill to drill the holes with a bit of care. It's been running with those bushings for at least 5 yrs now, might even be longer?

Clutch lining,, in retrospect the first sign I had of a problem was a clutch issue, but I didn't take the time to investigate and before I did it blew the planetary. When I took the thing apart mine was missing chunks of the lining. As said I had a junker L someone had given me so I pulled one out of it to use in the Kohler engine machine, these can be gotten off Ebay or Richard's pretty reasonable.