How are those chinese engines for the big walkbehinds?

/ How are those chinese engines for the big walkbehinds? #1  

freedomlives

Platinum Member
Tractor
Iseki TS35F, Goldoni Special 140 with powered trailer -- Goldoni Special 128 -- Goldoni Uno for mowing -- Czech Vari system
So, as per my other thread , I've realized that it isn't looking like an easy fix for the Lombardini Intermotor 2LA490 gas motor on my Goldoni Special 128, which is in the same league as the Grillo 131 or BCS 750. The Lombardini distributor part's department here in Slovakia had not heard of the 2LA490, and given that it hasn't got a serial number on the plate or anything, means it must be quite old anyway.
The big problem I have is that it is already growing time, and my wife has finished planting the raised beds that were already made from last year, so I need to get the rotary plow going. As well, potatoes need planting. I have a Goldoni 140, but it is hooked up in the 4x4 trailer configuration with separate steering wheel, and its a chore to switch it around. So I feel like I just ought to buy a new motor, rather than spend more time taking the 2LA490 apart and perhaps just finding out some part needs replacement inside that I can't get, would then need machined, etc.
Unfortunately, to buy a new Lombardini diesel 3LD510 like what's on the Goldoni 140 is outside what I can afford. From Italy I see the price on a Kohler CH440 gas engine with the conical shaft is 800€, and I expect the Lombardini dealer here can get me that for some similar price. On the other hand there is a seller of Rato chinese gas motors-- like the Predator series from Harbor Freight in the US with the Lombardini type shaft, and their R420 is 550€. It produces 11.8HP at 3600 RPM; the CH440 13.4HP at 3600RPM. Of course, the Lombardinis run at 3000RPM. In either event, everything sold in the EU comes with a 2 year warranty.
And then there are some sellers selling on the equivalent of craigslist here generic chinese motors (with a big logo "GERMANY" :-D ) and a false claim that it is "Honda license" (maybe there's no word for clone in Slovak...) for 350€ with electric start, but of course these will be without any warranty.

Well, mostly I wonder what is the kind of current, 2017 quality of generic chinese gas motors? Are they up to rotary plow duty, or will that just kill them a lot faster?

/ How are those chinese engines for the big walkbehinds? #2  
Reports on some of these Honda knock offs are good. I have had 2, a 13hp in a generator and a 6.5hp used as a replacement. The only issue I have with them is the carbs seem to be critical with ethanol fuel, so I religiously add stabilizer now. Otherwise they always start and when I replaced a carb on the 13hp it was around 20 bux.

Rotary plow duty,,, don't know why that would over stress the engine. When I use the rotary plow on the Gravely I'm usually not running full throttle. For me snow blowing is the test of an engine, always running full bore and usually heavily loaded.

/ How are those chinese engines for the big walkbehinds?
Thanks for the info.

Snow blowing-- we'll see next winter, though usually get about one foot at most at a time, so I suspect that is nothing for the snow blower that came with the Goldoni, and it is a two-stage blower as well.