2 wheel tractor options ?

/ 2 wheel tractor options ? #1  

DHD

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I am in the market for a 2 wheel tractor that I can attach a snow blower head (preferably 2 stage), a field/brush mower head and possibly a finish mower head.
I like the idea of having one power unit with a variety of attachments, but my primary interest is using it for snow blowing.

I have very little knowledge of 2 wheel tractors and would appreciate any input.

The BCS and Grillo 2 wheel tractors look very solid and seem very popular, but which would be a better choice for snow blowing ?

One possible snow blowing issue that concerns me with either of the BCS or Grillo tractors is the snow blower stops, when every forward motion stops.

Would the Gravel Pro-QXT be worth looking at ?
It does not appear as solid as the older Gravely tractors I remember, and I haven't seen many reviews.

/ 2 wheel tractor options ? #2  
One of the negatives of the new Gravely is the cost, pretty spendy when compared to a BCS or Grillo from what I have seen. For that matter if you desire a Gravely 2 wheel hydro you might look for a used model M. It was also a Rapid rebadge but sound heavier duty than the new one? Of course you could also locate an older low hour Gravely Pro series and tidy it up a bit to make it like new. Your likely to be in a similar price range for any of the options above comparing to a new BCS or Grillo 12+hp machine less attachments..

Check out youtube, there are several vids of real life folks using the BCS and Grillo machines with all sorts of attachments to get the picture without the manufacturer "spin" on things.

As a long time Gravely owner my inclination would be to really look into a Grillo G110 if I were in the market.

/ 2 wheel tractor options ? #3  
The Grillo 131 with the air cooled diesel engine will provide you with plenty of power for all your needs.

The European power equipment safety standards require the snow caster to stop when the 2 wheel tractor stops.

The major negative for the BCS units is the Honda engine. Neither BCS nor Honda has seen fit to enclose the engine in a winter shroud and the engine control linkages being mounted in the open will freeze on you from the melt water when blowing snow and then you have problems with the throttle linkages.

The Two Stage Berta Snow Caster attachments are better built that the BCS snow casters but your money would be better spent on the Yamaha 32 inch track drive unit and just buy a riding lawn mower from a big box dealer as the attachments for a 2 wheel tractor can add up to a lot of money.

I suggested the Yamaha 32 inch unit simply because they are heavy and will not ride up on snow piles left by a plow
and the track drive has plenty of traction for all conditions.

If you major worry is blowing snow you would be better off going to a Yamaha snow blower dealer across the border and buying one of the new track drive Yamaha 2 stage snow casters. There is plenty of information about them on you tube and with the exchange rate being so good for the Canadian Loonie it would save you a lot of money to buy one now.

Not trying to spend your money, but both the old Yamahas and the new Yamahas with tracks have been designed for the major snows in Northern and Northwestern Japan and they are being used in Europe in the deep snows there too.

/ 2 wheel tractor options ?
Those Yamaha snow blowers certainly are impressive.

/ 2 wheel tractor options ? #5  
I have a 1926 Bohlens 2 wheeler (dual steel tires). Needs work (and a motor). Just dug it out of a neighbor's back yard.

/ 2 wheel tractor options ? #6  
Those Yamaha snow blowers certainly are impressive.
=========================================================
That is the reason I suggested the Yamahas to you.

The problem with the 2 wheel mules is that the money you spend can mushroom in huge hurry and
you could spend 15K in one sitting.

If it were me AND believe me I HAVE BEEN THERE with;the JD JUNK I have now; I would chat with
Joel at Earth Tools and go from there perhaps with a BCS 853 rather than a Grillo due to the first
cost as they are both gear drive units.

Your major job is snow removal and the self propelled Yamahas and the Berta Snow caster attachments are both top notch units
and as I said earlier Consumer Reports also said you want a self propelled snow blower for JUST snow removal and they don't
make mistakes very often.

/ 2 wheel tractor options ? #7  
I have read about people freezing cables, but hasn't seen of it myself. Upgrading to a diesel would help with this, however would be harder to start. Honda snowblowers use the same GX engine. The air intake and a plastic shroad over the throttle, choke, is different on the GX snowblowers. Maybe those accessories can be added to a tractor engine. The newer Kohler motors have a winter intake setting. How much snow are you throwing?

How much snow are you throwing?

In a typical winter season, most our of our snow storms are 8 inches or less, with one or two storms being 20" or more.
In the past few years, most storms start as snow then change to wet snow or rain.

We are looking for a walk behind tractor with snow blower attachment or walk behind snow blower to snow blow access paths and the perimeter of some out buildings and a green house.
We already have a Kubota tractor with a rear mount 64" snow blower for two driveways, 3 large apron/parking areas.
We are also using the Kubota with RM snow blower to snow blow access paths and the perimeter of the out buildings and a green house, but it's difficult to maneuver around these structures plus we end up snow blowing much more area than we need to, due to of this lack of maneuverability.

At the present time we have two snow blower operators and only the Kubota with RM snow blower.
With the addition of another snow blower, both snow blowers could be used at the same time reducing our snow clearing time.

/ 2 wheel tractor options ? #9  
I'd say a Grillo 110 or a BCS 852 could be a good fit for your operation. The single stage blowers for these machines aren't like the one you're thinking of. They turn at 1200 rpm and can really throw snow. I have a two stage Berta blower, and it is a better performing machine, but is also a fair bit more expensive.

I used to mow my lawn with a 38" finish mower, and will warn you that they are not nearly a maneuverable or functional as a dedicated mower. First, the mower blades stop when you squeeze the clutch to reverse. Also, there are only three mowing speed options versus a variable speed belt or hydrostatic drive. Third, the machine is very long and doesn't steer like a dedicated mower. They're much better for wide area mowing, not close-in mowing around obstacles.

I'd say a Grillo 110 or a BCS 852 could be a good fit for your operation. The single stage blowers for these machines aren't like the one you're thinking of. They turn at 1200 rpm and can really throw snow. I have a two stage Berta blower, and it is a better performing machine, but is also a fair bit more expensive.

I used to mow my lawn with a 38" finish mower, and will warn you that they are not nearly a maneuverable or functional as a dedicated mower. First, the mower blades stop when you squeeze the clutch to reverse. Also, there are only three mowing speed options versus a variable speed belt or hydrostatic drive. Third, the machine is very long and doesn't steer like a dedicated mower. They're much better for wide area mowing, not close-in mowing around obstacles.

What ever snow blower unit we get, it's important to us that the snow blower still has the capability to blow snow even when the forward movement of the unit has stopped.