Transporting BCS in Volvo station wagon?

/ Transporting BCS in Volvo station wagon? #1  

BillyDBrown

Tractor
BCS 749 2 wheeler
Do you think it reasonable to plan on being able to do this?

/ Transporting BCS in Volvo station wagon? #2  
I fit my 739 in the back of a Subaru Outback with the back seats laid flat.

You just have to adjust the handles so they are pointing down.

It would be more difficult with a BCS that doesn't have the differential.

/ Transporting BCS in Volvo station wagon? #3  
if you can get the seats out. but a better plan is a minivan with rear seat removed, or a pickup truck and metal folding ramps.

/ Transporting BCS in Volvo station wagon? #4  
Securing the 2 wheel mule, is a must so perhaps renting a small U-haul trailer is the better way to do this simply as it will prevent you losing a window or having the mule visit you in the front seat if you have to brake hard. They get real cranky if you don't have sugar cubes as a treat.

Purchasing 2 sets of the ratchet strap tie downs the 2 inch ones are a must and they are not that expensive to buy at tractor supply.

/ Transporting BCS in Volvo station wagon? #5  
Do you think it reasonable to plan on being able to do this?

Only guessing (don't know which wagon you have, or the exact tractor dimensions....), but probably OK one-time, so long as you are up for a wrestling match. Probably wouldn't attempt it with a V50.

I'd be more inclined to throw it on a small trailer like this:

1:eek: lb. Capacity 4-1/2 in x 48 in Utility Trailer

If you're keeping it, you may want a small trailer like that for behind the BCS..... HF puts those on sale once in a while, I think.

Uhaul is always an option, or if a local move, Home Depot rents vans partial days (at least around here).

Rgds, D.

/ Transporting BCS in Volvo station wagon? #6  
A 200, 700, 850 or 900 series (or a pre 2002 V70) wagon should fit it fine. Newer may or may not fit.
Ask the seller to lower the handlebars all the way down and measure the highest point off the ground the overall length and max width of the BCS and that should let you measure your wagon and see if it will fit.
As I recall, the seats fold flat in pretty much any Volvo wagon so you should be good to go there, but I would make sure to use 4 straps to tie it down so that if you get into an accident it stays out of your personal space.

Aaron Z

/ Transporting BCS in Volvo station wagon?
Thanks all for your helpful insights and options worth considering! Will take these all into account as I decide how to move forward.

/ Transporting BCS in Volvo station wagon? #8  
Would not recommend it. If you could borrow a vehicle with a trailer or a pickup truck that'd work out a lot better.

These things are heavy, it is exciting enough just getting my 853 out of my trailer.

/ Transporting BCS in Volvo station wagon? #9  
I once transported an older BCS715 with rototiller, a BCS/Mainline SEPP with rototiller and another rototiller, all at the same time, in a Kia Rio sedan.

The way I did it was to take the motors off, the wheels off, the implements off, and the handlebars off. (If anyone is in Southwestern Ontario, Canada and wants an old Mainline tractor for parts, send me an email and maybe we can make a deal.)

If you do go this route, make sure you take some wood boards and thick cardboard with to protect the inside of your car. These older tractors tend to leak oil here and there.