Yamaha compared to Honda GX

/ Yamaha compared to Honda GX #1  

JNG3

Tractor
Craftsman Gt5000
Looking at buying a Grillo 107d or 110 from EarthTools. Engine options are either the Honda GX or Yamaha MX. I know about the GX's good reputation. Not much info out there on the Yamaha. Both the MX 360 and the MX 400 have a much flatter torque curve compared to the GX 340 and 390. Both brands have iron cylinder liners. Both brands are commercial/industrial engines. I'm leaning towards the Yamaha but would like opinions from others. Thanks.

/ Yamaha compared to Honda GX #2  
I've never owned one of those Yamaha's, but I know their generators have a really good rep for lasting...

SR

/ Yamaha compared to Honda GX #3  
They have been putting the 13 horse MX Yamaha's in their 32 inch snow blowers for a long time now and they sell a lot of their new snow blowers in Canada. The V twin engines they just introduced are in the new gravely ride on 2 wheel mowers.
I would love to see one of their 31 horsepower V twin units on a Reist Series 1000 single stage snowblower.

Last edited:
   / Yamaha compared to Honda GX #4  
I'd LOVE to try one of those new 31's on my sawmill!

Bet they will be expensive though!

SR

/ Yamaha compared to Honda GX
I guess what bothers me about the Yamaha is that the engine is manufactured in China. The Honda could be made in one of several countries, China being one of them. I'm looking for a long lasting, durable engine and China is not specifically known for long lasting quality goods. I wish Joel still offered the Suburu Robin engines (although they are probably made in China as well!).

/ Yamaha compared to Honda GX #6  
They would not let a bad chinese made Yamaha gas engine be sold in their snow blowers as their quality control is extremely high. The fumes made by the Honda GX340 engine I had on my firewood processor were so bad that I bought a catalytic converter from Foley engine service for it and I never had an issue after that.

/ Yamaha compared to Honda GX #7  
I would buy a Yamaha motor without hesitation!

SR

/ Yamaha compared to Honda GX #8  
Hi JNG3
Those Yamaha engines are super good. So are the Hondas. We sell probably half and half Honda to Yamaha on the Grillo tractors in general. Speaking specifically of the G110 model we sell those primarily with the Honda only because that is what folks want. But if customer is doing some serious flail mower work (or similar) I do mention the Yamaha as it has more power (MX400). BCS tractors used Yamaha engines back in the day on the BCS 850 model. The 850 was the parent to the 852/853. That was 12-17 years ago. Those engines were labeled Kohler CS models, but they were all made by Yamaha. The Yamaha MX400 also has a little more HP and torque than the GX390. Personally, I don't like the fact that Yamaha is now manufacturing those engines in China. So for that reason I (personally) would stick with the Honda. But that is more of a logistical and personal reason than an engine performance reason. Last I checked they (Honda GX390) were made in Thailand or Malaysia or someplace like that. If they made it (Yamaha MX360/MX400) in just about any other country I would take the Yamaha over the Honda if I needed the additional power it offers. Bottom line, performance wise either one you go with is a good choice.

/ Yamaha compared to Honda GX #9  
I bought a John. Deere commercial walk behind mower with a Yamaha (JE 75) engine back in 1997. Still starts on the first pull. It's been a rock solid engine. Either one should do you well.

/ Yamaha compared to Honda GX
Well I appreciate all the advise but I won't be buying a Grillo. I had intended on replacing my 2005 GT5000 due to numerous problems with the Kohler CV730 engine. Tractor has been great, the engine has been nothing but trouble. Last Saturday I stumbled across a 2002 or 2003 GT5000 with the same Kohler engine in excellent condition. Owner had it priced fairly. Had service records (no engine problems). So I bought it and will be swapping tires/rims and the sleeve hitch. I'll keep the 2005 GT for parts.