New member-Grillo 107-need suggestions on steep slopes

/ New member-Grillo 107-need suggestions on steep slopes
If I remember correctly, the foam added about 25lbs/tire, which does help traction somewhat. I have also run duals with weights, that also helped, but the duals do make it a little harder to maneuver. Cut a tire last year, haven't fixed it yet so duals are out for now. I rigged a clevis/chain mount for the winch, power it off the BCS battery(electric start is god for more than just cranking). I'm not real sure about tracks for hillsides, look a little awkward, but maybe. Other than cost, my tire selection was for versatility, rotary plow, snow blower, power barrow, a couple of different mowers, plows, blade, chipper, tiller. And I usually keep the tires about 18" inside to inside, for rotary plow and most mowers, I'll spread them out next week to dig potatoes. I have both 8" and 2.5" axle extensions, the 8" are lead filled for extra weight, also use about 80 lbs barbell weights when I really need traction.
Maybe more weight would help me, too. But I'll wait to see how the balloon tires do when EarthTools delivers the tractor. It is recoil start, so no way to rig it up to a winch like you did.
Thanks,
Fred

/ New member-Grillo 107-need suggestions on steep slopes #12  
I have run regular tractor (CUT) Kubota, Fords, MF all on slope of your steepness and one of the big things I found is make sure it is dry! It certainly can be done safely and most the time when someone got in trouble they were trying to hurry. Work up and down, add weight by filling the tires, Duels help a lot but do make turning a bit more difficult.

Thanks for reminding me.....I'll only try it when it's REALLY dry! Being that steep it drains well and dries up fast. It also get a lot of sun.

And going slow is fine, as it's a fairly small area. I'm thinking 1st gear.

Thanks, Fred

/ New member-Grillo 107-need suggestions on steep slopes #14  
I would definitely add a winch to the Grillo and wire it through to the battery to make it easier to climb and stabilize the mower.
the ATV winches have remote pendant controls that will let you pay out the winch rope as you work to keep tension on the mule as it works and you will just have to take up the rope as you make each pass with the mower.

The spider radio control slope mowers have their winch attached directly to the front of the mowers frame and they use a kevlar winch rope.

You will have to mount the winch on the front of the flail mower shroud to enable it to work properly and allow you to mow from side to side on the slope. The problem will be which winch to employ at you need to have more than 200 feet of the smallest diameter winch rope/kevlar rope for it.

A larger 12 volt winch will add more weight to the mower and more stability of course which is a plus but as member Code 54 stated very well the ground has to be very dry to work safely.
If you can travel down hill first and then mow diagonally upward it will be easier to climb the slope using the winch. If you invest in winch cradle with a 2 inch receiver it would be easier to mount to the frame of the grillo mule.
You may end up visiting a welding shop to have an attachment made to mount the winch cradle but once that is done you can mount the winch and dismount the winch whenever you do not require the use of the winch.

/ New member-Grillo 107-need suggestions on steep slopes #15  
If you decide you need a winch I would look at something like the Superwinch 2 go system. Basically a winch in a box system that you don't need to install anything on the machine. Pretty cool little system - just add power and your set. (old car battery, etc..) Plus you can use it on a SxS, with a tractor, pretty much anything you want. Saw one set up with a car battery in one tool box and the winch to go in the other. Garb the two boxes if you are stuck and everything is there for a extraction with out involving any other eqpt.
Have seen it cheaper but this give you an idea:
Amazon.com: Superwinch 114232 Winch 2 Go 12V 4SR Portable Winch System (4lb with Synthetic Rope, Pulley Block, Gloves, Straps and D-Shackles): Automotive

/ New member-Grillo 107-need suggestions on steep slopes #16  
   / New member-Grillo 107-need suggestions on steep slopes #18  
We currently have two tractors - a BX25 and a MX5100. I pretty much can brush hog anything I need to but after watching those videos I am seriously thinking I may watch for a BCS to Grillo to use deep in the woods. Would be awesome for brush hogging new motorcycle trails and it would be safe on my STEEP hills. Plus if I would get stuck it is still light enough to have hopes of getting it out unlike a 5000lbs tractor. I think your "question" may end up costing me money down the road... LOL

/ New member-Grillo 107-need suggestions on steep slopes #19  
I've mowed 5 foot tall grass and brush on slopes up to 15 degrees or more with our BCS 749 and a 34" Berta flail mower. The 749 has a Honda GX390 engine, and 6.50/80x13 tires mounted using two pairs of axle extensions so that the outside of the tires are 31" wide. Some of the ground can be wet and a bit soft. I initially thought dual wheels might be needed to keep the tires from sinking in to the softer ground but the single, wider tires so far have enough floatation, even on ground that our four wheel tractor leaves ruts in. I usually mow across steep slopes. Locking the differential assists with keeping the mower headed straight across the hills. There have not been any problems with the mower trying to overturn.

More on my experiences with the BCS 749 and both the Berta flail mower and a BCS dual-action cutter bar at http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...027-bsc-749-mowers-experience.html?highlight=

We currently have two tractors - a BX25 and a MX5100. I pretty much can brush hog anything I need to but after watching those videos I am seriously thinking I may watch for a BCS to Grillo to use deep in the woods. Would be awesome for brush hogging new motorcycle trails and it would be safe on my STEEP hills. Plus if I would get stuck it is still light enough to have hopes of getting it out unlike a 5000lbs tractor. I think your "question" may end up costing me money down the road... LOL
You only live once!