New member-Grillo 107-need suggestions on steep slopes

/ New member-Grillo 107-need suggestions on steep slopes #1  

SmokeyMtn

Walland, Tennessee....foothills of the Smokies
Tractor
Grillo 107D
Hi, I just ordered a Grillo 107D from Joel at EarthTools.I should get it in about 10 days.. I have a fairly small, steep slope to mow (about 50 ft down the steep part and
less than 200ft wide). It's "grassy" with somewhat loose, soft soil and an honest 25-30 degree slope.....so it is steep!

Joel suggested a 26" Berta flail mower and 10" wide tires (10x8x20 balloon tires). Can anyone give a first-timer some suggestions on how to attack this hill?...... I have looked at a lot of youtube videos, Joel's instructive ones + anything I found with a tractor on
steep hills.

Thanks!
Fred

/ New member-Grillo 107-need suggestions on steep slopes #2  
Mowing slopes greater than 15 degrees is dangerous for a newcomer or an experienced mule owner.

If Joel has not shipped it yet perhaps he can sell you a set of tracks rather than the balloon tires??

Why did you not buy the wider flail mower?

The problem is gravity is a heartless female dog and adding a slope to that equation makes it deadly.

Short of buying V bar snow and ice chains and having the tires loaded with windshield washer fluid to maintain adhesion the only way to do this is to mow from the bottom up with the chains on the balloon tires and having the tires loaded.

Order the V bar chains and have the tires loaded with windshield washer fluid to create more adhesion

/ New member-Grillo 107-need suggestions on steep slopes #3  
I use a BCS850 with 26" Berta flail, 5x10x20" foam filled tires, and we do have steep ground, steep enough to roll even a BCS. My wheels are set almost as wide as the mower..I mow both up and down slope as well as across, depending on where I can turn around. Working around the slope, I prefer to start at the bottom and work uphill, so I am walking in the mowed area. This is where steering brakes really come in handy, get them adjusted and be ready to ride the uphill brake. Turn uphill. If you turn downhill, be ready to run--after the machine :) Start with a not quite full tank of gas, just so it won't run out, but if close to empty, sometimes it can't pick up the gas on a slope. Just a pain to have to carry gas when you are not really empty.
Be careful of what is on your down hill side. It is very easy to slide into a fence/tree/blueberry bush/creek and get very hung up. ATV winches can help get un hung ( I use a truck mounted winch at least 3-5 times a year to get unjammed).
I do like the 26" flail, I think any bigger would have been too much, at least for me.
I'm on the other side of the Blue Ridge Mts, only about 3.5 hr away, if you want to practice, come on up (you can even use mine :)

/ New member-Grillo 107-need suggestions on steep slopes
Mowing slopes greater than 15 degrees is dangerous for a newcomer or an experienced mule owner.

If Joel has not shipped it yet perhaps he can sell you a set of tracks rather than the balloon tires??

Why did you not buy the wider flail mower?

The problem is gravity is a heartless female dog and adding a slope to that equation makes it deadly.

Short of buying V bar snow and ice chains and having the tires loaded with windshield washer fluid to maintain adhesion the only way to do this is to mow from the bottom up with the chains on the balloon tires and having the tires loaded.

Order the V bar chains and have the tires loaded with windshield washer fluid to create more adhesion
Joel was going to ship it with standard tires. I sorta talked him into the balloon tires. If they don't work out,
I'll likely look at tracks.
Thanks!

Last edited:
I use a BCS850 with 26" Berta flail, 5x10x20" foam filled tires, and we do have steep ground, steep enough to roll even a BCS. My wheels are set almost as wide as the mower..I mow both up and down slope as well as across, depending on where I can turn around. Working around the slope, I prefer to start at the bottom and work uphill, so I am walking in the mowed area. This is where steering brakes really come in handy, get them adjusted and be ready to ride the uphill brake. Turn uphill. If you turn downhill, be ready to run--after the machine :) Start with a not quite full tank of gas, just so it won't run out, but if close to empty, sometimes it can't pick up the gas on a slope. Just a pain to have to carry gas when you are not really empty.
Be careful of what is on your down hill side. It is very easy to slide into a fence/tree/blueberry bush/creek and get very hung up. ATV winches can help get un hung ( I use a truck mounted winch at least 3-5 times a year to get unjammed).
I do like the 26" flail, I think any bigger would have been too much, at least for me.
I'm on the other side of the Blue Ridge Mts, only about 3.5 hr away, if you want to practice, come on up (you can even use mine :)

Hi,

I've used a bid walk-behind mower a good bit, so I am familiar with braking and turning uphill, etc. But i have never run a tractor before. Joel's gonna have his FIL deliver the Grillo and check me out on it. Do you think the foam helps traction much?

I may take you up on your offer. Probably show up on your doorstep like a whipped dog:thumbdown:

Thanks for your advice. Oh...I have an ATV winch on order.

/ New member-Grillo 107-need suggestions on steep slopes #6  
Welcome Fred! There are some "smart arse's" here and might suggest a...
images-1.jpg
:D

I've used an old Gravley with dual wheels on slopes but no useful experience with your machine. Good luck and send us some pics of your new machine :thumbsup:

Welcome Fred! There are some "smart arse's" here and might suggest a...
View attachment 520457 :D

I've used an old Gravley with dual wheels on slopes but no useful experience with your machine. Good luck and send us some pics of your new machine :thumbsup:

Our bears would make short work of those. The coyotes would also feast on them!

/ New member-Grillo 107-need suggestions on steep slopes #8  
If I remember correctly, the foam added about 25lbs/tire, which does help traction somewhat. I have also run duals with weights, that also helped, but the duals do make it a little harder to maneuver. Cut a tire last year, haven't fixed it yet so duals are out for now. I rigged a clevis/chain mount for the winch, power it off the BCS battery(electric start is god for more than just cranking). I'm not real sure about tracks for hillsides, look a little awkward, but maybe. Other than cost, my tire selection was for versatility, rotary plow, snow blower, power barrow, a couple of different mowers, plows, blade, chipper, tiller. And I usually keep the tires about 18" inside to inside, for rotary plow and most mowers, I'll spread them out next week to dig potatoes. I have both 8" and 2.5" axle extensions, the 8" are lead filled for extra weight, also use about 80 lbs barbell weights when I really need traction.

/ New member-Grillo 107-need suggestions on steep slopes #9  
This is my Gravely with duals,, and steering brakes.

Does your new tractor have steering brakes?

5260tires7_zpsbb25a851.jpg

I doubt I would try it on a 30 degree slope, the engine would probably stop lubricating,,,

The spacers act like wheel weights.
I would add a second set of spacers for added weight if I were going to try a real steep grade.

We need pics when the new machine comes,, LOTS of pics,,,

This is my Gravely with duals,, and steering brakes.

Does your new tractor have steering brakes?

I doubt I would try it on a 30 degree slope, the engine would probably stop lubricating,,,

The spacers act like wheel weights.
I would add a second set of spacers for added weight if I were going to try a real steep grade.

We need pics when the new machine comes,, LOTS of pics,,,
Yes, it has steering brakes and a locking differential. According to Joel, the Honda engine will be OK on the slope if I keep the oil at full level.

Thanks!
Fred