Rotary plow or tiller

/ Rotary plow or tiller #21  
Here is another rotary plow that was made in the USA,, it is a UFT,

D7K_1071498x640-1.jpg

This one has less than 2 hours on it.

I rotary plowed my garden with the UFT plow when it was too wet,
that was the year I learned how clay can clump into balls.

After that, I added almost an unbelievable amount of organic matter,,,

DSC_00151024x549.jpg

The organic matter has kept my garden from clumping for close to a decade now,

DSC_00221024x681.jpg

DSC_00091024x681.jpg

/ Rotary plow or tiller #22  
The Berta reversible is top notch for sure but expensive. I been thinking of getting a rotary for my BCS (had one for a Gravely), do you all feel the Berta reversible is worth the extra money over the Berta non-reversible?

I don't think there's a pat answer for everyone. If you've got hilly terrain, then it's supposed to be useful for throwing soil uphill, but you can do the same thing with the single if you're willing to backtrack the machine while not engaging pto. That might not be a big deal if your scale/distance to travel is small, but might double your time in the field and be very significant if you have a lot of soil work to do and over long distances.

For me, I'm in the Great Northern Plains, everything is as flat as a pancake here, there is precious little deviation from flat slopes. Also, to maintain raised dirt beds, you merely travel in a circle around your raised beds, so there is no backtracking in this application (there would be some extra distance traveled to plow a virgin field, however. My scale isn't so large where I considered that a deal killer on the single). I also noticed merely by looking at the device, that it is wider and would be clunkier going down walkways in my garden, it might even be scraping the burms of my raised beds going up and down my walkways if I had one. And after using the single that weighs about 100 lbs, the double version must be a nasty beast. It's kinda nice to be able to lift these implement a bit here and there when getting em on and off, that would be close to out of the question with the double unit. And then, I think there are tractor balance issues with the double version, where you need some counterweights to balance things out.

/ Rotary plow or tiller #23  
You don't need counterweights for the reversible plow. You can even end up in a situation where you have no counterweights and the Goldoni 128 you bought turns out to have a stripped gear so you need to leave the reversing speed-reducers on, which shift the center of balance by 6 inches, and not in the right direction. Your back may not thank you however.

/ Rotary plow or tiller #24  
Thanks - I think it makes senses for me to save up a bit more and get the reversible one. Appreciate the info!!