Rotary plow or tiller

/ Rotary plow or tiller #1  

bluesilver

Tractor
Ferrari Powersafe 360
Hi, i have a question that i am hoping someone might be able to help me out a little with.
Our soil is pretty much a clay base soil and i kind of got into our soil a tad early,
I have left it alone for a few weeks to dry out more but the end result is hard lumpy dirt that doesn't really break up.
Lumps are kind of hard as in when you kick them they don't crumble, most either stay as they are or maybe just break in half if that makes any sense.

I was Just interested to know what anyone thoughts are on the best implement to maybe use, either the rotary plow to try and break them up or continue passes with a tiller.
I have been over it today with a tiller, but just end up with little lumps the size of either tennis balls or golf balls.
I think i may have damaged the soil for a few years trying to get onto it a tad early.

Any ideas or information would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

/ Rotary plow or tiller #2  
Here in NC back in the day before no-till we broke ground using moldboard plows in the fall and disc harrows in the spring for planting. If the ground was wet it didn't matter since it would freeze over the winter. If you work red clay in the spring you will have issues. My papaw told me as a young boy if you work red ground wet in the spring you will roll clods all year. About all you can do now is work it dry with the tiller. Best of luck.

/ Rotary plow or tiller #3  
Rotary plow to break unworked ground, tiller to work already broken ground. And if you have lumpy hard clods, the tiller is the only thing that can break them down, 1st gear rpms to the max!!!

/ Rotary plow or tiller #4  
As the others have said, the tiller is best now. IF the lumps get too dry, then a light rain will help them crumble easier too.

/ Rotary plow or tiller
Thanks for the replies, appreciated.
Yes i think i just got onto it a fair bit too early.
I wasn't sure if the rotary plow would cut up the lumps with its slicing action or not.
I will just have to wait until it dries out a lot more underneath and go over it with the tiller, it is very unseasonably wet this year for us, days are up in around 70 F and ground 2 inches is still wet

/ Rotary plow or tiller #6  
Hello bluesilver,

If you can buy some deep mined ag gypsum it will dissolve the clay.
The chemically rendered gypsum is more expensive and it will still work well.

/ Rotary plow or tiller
Thanks for the reply, i am hoping not to have to use gypsum as it will alter the pH of the soil, as i am sure i will need quiet a bit to cover the 2000 sq ft area.
I have got it broken up a bit with another run over it with the tiller, but might just leave it until the crops have finished for the season in 6 months and put a good load of mushroom compost over it and till it all in for the winter.

/ Rotary plow or tiller #8  
Thanks for the reply, i am hoping not to have to use gypsum as it will alter the pH of the soil, as i am sure i will need quiet a bit to cover the 2000 sq ft area.
I have got it broken up a bit with another run over it with the tiller, but might just leave it until the crops have finished for the season in 6 months and put a good load of mushroom compost over it and till it all in for the winter.
==============================================================================================

You can use lime to bring it back up to neutral if that is where you wish to keep the PH

/ Rotary plow or tiller
I do appreciate the information and suggestions.
Only drama with Dolomite that i am aware of and could be wrong here is that it is CaMg(CO3)2,
(Calcium and Magnesium) Calcium being lime that raises the pH.
But do appreciate the input, looks like best option is Mushroom compost when the winter come around.

/ Rotary plow or tiller #10  
Hello I think that on land like yours the best solution is to use a rotary plough. It is more aggressive than a rotary tiller!