Tractor
    Ferrari Powersafe 360

Default Rotary plow or tiller

Hi, i have a question that i am hoping someone might be able to help me out a little with.
    Our soil is pretty much a clay base soil and i kind of got into our soil a tad early,
    I have left it alone for a few weeks to dry out more but the end result is hard lumpy dirt that doesn't really break up.
    Lumps are kind of hard as in when you kick them they don't crumble, most either stay as they are or maybe just break in half if that makes any sense.

I was Just interested to know what anyone thoughts are on the best implement to maybe use, either the rotary plow to try and break them up or continue passes with a tiller.
    I have been over it today with a tiller, but just end up with little lumps the size of either tennis balls or golf balls.
    I think i may have damaged the soil for a few years trying to get onto it a tad early.

Any ideas or information would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    New Holland Workmaster 50, Ford 4610 SU

Default Re: Rotary plow or tiller

Here in NC back in the day before no-till we broke ground using moldboard plows in the fall and disc harrows in the spring for planting. If the ground was wet it didn't matter since it would freeze over the winter. If you work red clay in the spring you will have issues. My papaw told me as a young boy if you work red ground wet in the spring you will roll clods all year. About all you can do now is work it dry with the tiller. Best of luck.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Ford 9n, BCS 737

Rotary plow to break unworked ground, tiller to work already broken ground. And if you have lumpy hard clods, the tiller is the only thing that can break them down, 1st gear rpms to the max!!!

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Case DX55, Ford 850

As the others have said, the tiller is best now. IF the lumps get too dry, then a light rain will help them crumble easier too.

Tractor
    Ferrari Powersafe 360

Thanks for the replies, appreciated.
    Yes i think i just got onto it a fair bit too early.
    I wasn't sure if the rotary plow would cut up the lumps with its slicing action or not.
    I will just have to wait until it dries out a lot more underneath and go over it with the tiller, it is very unseasonably wet this year for us, days are up in around 70 F and ground 2 inches is still wet