2 wheel tractor uses and supplement 4 wheel tractors

/ 2 wheel tractor uses and supplement 4 wheel tractors #1  

Code54

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D,1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy Kubota KX91-3, BCS 853
We are currently looking at a BCS 852/853 to use to supplement my 4 wheel machines. I have a small Kubota BX25 and a larger 50hp Kubota that does most of the work. I am thinking of getting the BCS for around the house to help out with little jobs. Mainly mowing on the really steep slopes and around trees down in the woods where the 4 wheel machines don't fit very well or would cut down too much.
I also been kicking around doing some small scale mowing/brush hogging jobs and thought this may play well into that idea. Not looking for big properties, mainly real estate work and local people that want to clean up the backyard or weird smaller spot type jobs. Not planning to make a living off this type of work, but make a few bucks to help pay for eqpt./etc...
Have you found these to work well for that kind of jobs? Any major downsides?

Also thinking of the stump grinder for around the house, maybe the power wheelbarrow idea would be handy in the garden and yard where it would be tough with he tractors or they would tear things up.

I have a tiller for the small tractor (42") but depending on what the wife decides a walk behind may be useful for tilling also.

What are your thoughts on these machines and the ideas/uses above?
THANKS

/ 2 wheel tractor uses and supplement 4 wheel tractors #2  
We live in Maine on 11 acres on the side of a large hill / small "mountain" which is part forest, part old pasture and part wild blueberry field. We mow the flatter parts of the old pasture with a Kubota B2650 and a 48" rotary cutter. The steeper parts of the old pasture are mowed with a BCS 749 with a 59" sickle bar cutter. The wild blueberries are mowed with the BCS with a 34" Berta flail mower. This summer we added a 32" rotary cutter for the BCS to deal with an infestation of burdock which we didn't get under control last year. The BCS with the flail mower or rotary cutter is also used for mowing in close quarters, and for the flower garden at the end of the season. So far we are very satisfied with both the BCS and the Kubota tractor which complement each other.

/ 2 wheel tractor uses and supplement 4 wheel tractors
Thanks - do you prefer the flail over the rotary cutter? I am mixed on which one I would prefer. Figure they both have their perks...

/ 2 wheel tractor uses and supplement 4 wheel tractors #4  
Thanks - do you prefer the flail over the rotary cutter? I am mixed on which one I would prefer. Figure they both have their perks...

Wow looked at your tractor ownership tag...you are a true power equipment enthusiast...and I might even factor that into a BCS purchase. It seems you'd probably enjoy owning and running one, and would get a kick out of the kind of heavy duty quality, power and utility you can wield in such a small package. Everything about it is AG grade, and it is truly a working tractor.

That is the part that really appeals to me, it is not some junk stamped machine and works an operates like a quality piece of equipment. We have a few places where a wheeled machine just does not fit or it is basically unsafe due to the slope so the BCS seems perfect. I also like that that power wheelbarrow could help my wife in her gardening and me for fetching wood in the winter. Heck I could easily drive it up onto our deck and make a door front delivery.... LOL (We have a wrap around deck and I put a small ramp on the side for when elderly family visit and the dog who has bad hips)

The other thing that appeals to me in the idea of walking -yep, I'm one of those guys... i run several days a week, lift and workout and it seems like a great way to incorporate a workout into my chores. Sounds weird i'm sure but I'm close to turning 50 and it takes a bit more effort to stay in shape now compared to years back and this would be a fun way to do it and keep the property looking good.

/ 2 wheel tractor uses and supplement 4 wheel tractors #6  
I had a BIG Gravely walk behind. Dual wheels. I used it to mow the grass around the house with rather steep hills. It got replaced by the Steiner which is easier, but I do miss the excercise. I had a sulky with steering wheel but it was too wild a ride and probably dangerous. I had all kinds of attachments, but in reality, only ever used the mower. Nice cut quality.

Living here is WV the Gravely is VERY well known. They used to be built about 20 miles from me and it seems everyone has one around here. They run forever!!
All my neighbors call the riding sulky the "nut cracker" - seems the handlebar length is a bit wicked if you go through a ditch with the sulky on and are making a slight turn.... LOL
I am leaning toward the BCS mainly because of the much more refinement of the machine, safety, and the ability of my wife to be able to operate it. The gravely is always called the man killer but I'm afraid if I had her use it the name may change to women killer. Im rather fond of her and hope to keep her around so the BCS moved up on the list a bit!

The Steiner is a NICE machine and also very well made and built!

/ 2 wheel tractor uses and supplement 4 wheel tractors #8  
We have an old Gravely (Commercial 10) and mostly used the 30" rotary cutter, especially when we first bought our place and it was very overgrown. As you've noted, it excels in tight quarters and on steep slopes. We mostly use it with the dual wheels. What I like best about it is the massively heavy 3/8" thick blade. Will annihilate anything you can get under the housing. So it's terrific as a rough "bushhog". Hopefully a BCS has that as well. We also used a 40" dual blade finish mower quite a lot in rougher areas. What I liked least was those long handlebars' tendency to whack you smartly in the thigh/hip when the wheels hit a stump/rock/rut.

/ 2 wheel tractor uses and supplement 4 wheel tractors #9  
My lady friend refused to operate the Gravely. In my opinion, the later commercial models just got too big! You hit a tree or something with a front corner of the deck and those damm handles will swing around and bust your ribs!

All of the older attachments used by way of an adapter were just too small for the larger machine.

DSC01393.JPG

I had to add a lot of weight to the back to even make this work. I used this to blow around buildings. Occasionally it got stuck and had to be rescued.

It did blow snow like I have never seen done with a blower of this size!

/ 2 wheel tractor uses and supplement 4 wheel tractors #10  
DSC01202.JPG..

A trip to my girl friends cottage up the Bruce Peninsula. Steering Sulky in place. Thought I rather take my chances with the Sulky then the Rattle Snakes!

Come to think of it, I never did get paid for that!