BCS 853 sticky brakes

/ BCS 853 sticky brakes #1  

ottawarob

Silver Member
Tractor
BCS, MF 1540
The drum brakes on my 853 are a bit sticky after it's been siting for a bit. The unit is pretty new, but I put at least 30 hours bush mowing on it so far, I'm guessing something could be cleaned out. It's pretty annoying, starting it up and the unit wants to turn hard for the first little bit until things sort themselves out. Anyone have tips on how to adjust the brakes on these things? I can't seem to find any service manuals on them on BCS's website.

/ BCS 853 sticky brakes #2  
   / BCS 853 sticky brakes #3  
Also check the cables to make sure nothing is getting pinched

/ BCS 853 sticky brakes
Video with section on adjusting control cables starting at 9:25. BCS Tractor Setup - YouTube
Another video which is on clutch adjustment, but the same methods work for the brakes. Clutch adjustment for BCS & Grillo walk-behind tractors.MOV - YouTube
Video on control cable replacement. Control Cable replacement on walk-behind tractors - YouTube

Make sure there is free play in the lever.

Also, check the brake actuation system at the hubs. Make sure the levers at the hubs are not binding.

Thanks - going to check this later today. If the levers at the hubs are binding, what do you do about it?

/ BCS 853 sticky brakes #5  
Thanks - going to check this later today. If the levers at the hubs are binding, what do you do about it?

The brakes are pretty basic, but mine were binding years ago. I finally pulled the wheel to get into them, and realized it is a simple task and self explanatory. I lubed the lever pivots and any friction points, being careful to keep grease away from the brake pads and drums. I left mine go too long, and wished I greased them earlier once I had done it. They worked better than new.

/ BCS 853 sticky brakes #6  
The brakes are pretty basic, but mine were binding years ago. I finally pulled the wheel to get into them, and realized it is a simple task and self explanatory. I lubed the lever pivots and any friction points, being careful to keep grease away from the brake pads and drums. I left mine go too long, and wished I greased them earlier once I had done it. They worked better than new.

Thanks. I did the same thing yesterday and they work great now. One problem I still have is that one of the brakes sticks. I thought it might be the cable, but it's not as I move the lever at the brake manually and it doesn't spring back. I cleaned everything out and put the springs back on the brakes, but something is preventing them from springing back easily.