2 wheel tractors and getting stuck

/ 2 wheel tractors and getting stuck #1  

Code54

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D,1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy Kubota KX91-3, BCS 853
I just ordered a new BCS 853 with a power harrow and flail mower. I don't expect ever having problems getting stuck with he power harrow on but with the flail I'm thinking it is possible.
For the folks with brush mowers - do you get stuck often, any real issues getting unstuck? I am going to be using it in the woods a lot. Clearing between trees in areas either too steep or to tight to use my MX5100 with a 6' brush hog. I am trying to think ahead and was wondering when you do get hung up is it tough to get it back out. thought about a small portable winch I could just hook on and, clip to the battery on the BCS and pull it out. Figure I won't use much power from it due to the light weight and short pull but was not sure if this idea is a answer for a problem that really isn't a problem.
Any thoughts?

/ 2 wheel tractors and getting stuck #2  
I have never had much issue with my Gravely 5265 or my L tractors. Two wheel tractors are fun in the woods.

/ 2 wheel tractors and getting stuck #3  
I have an 850, with a flail, among other implements. I can find a way to get stuck, even where I shouldn't. Most of the time, backing out with some muscle gets me out. When I really do a good job, usually in a ditch or creek, the small ATV type winch will sometimes get me out, if there is something to pull to. Most of the time I'm lazy and just pull the truck close and either use the ATV winch or the truck winch. Usually by my self or I'd just use the truck to pull. Using the BCS battery is just another reason to have electric start :)
Think about the attachment point ahead of time, I use the engine guard, or the hitch on the other end.

/ 2 wheel tractors and getting stuck
Go for it!
You've got a couple of tractors to pull it out with.

Do agree there... But, I am thinking I maybe on the other side of the ravine so it maybe tough to get close but I have a LOT of trees. Also kicking around doing some small clearing jobs in the future for others and figure I won't have the other machines nearby so just trying o think ahead a bit.

Funny you guys mentioned the electric start - got it for 2 reasons, 1 so if the wife wants to use it she can easily start it, and 2 - so I had some battery power onboard for a LED light if needed or a winch in case I really get stuck.

/ 2 wheel tractors and getting stuck #6  
Do agree there... But, I am thinking I maybe on the other side of the ravine so it maybe tough to get close but I have a LOT of trees. Also kicking around doing some small clearing jobs in the future for others and figure I won't have the other machines nearby so just trying o think ahead a bit.

Funny you guys mentioned the electric start - got it for 2 reasons, 1 so if the wife wants to use it she can easily start it, and 2 - so I had some battery power onboard for a LED light if needed or a winch in case I really get stuck.

SMART! Also you know what? Gas engines, even good ones like hondas, start easy when they're new, and not so easy 5-10 years later. At that point, a starter system may fire it up where a ropecord would fail. You could say "well that just means it needs a tuneup/cleaning/maintenance" which is true, but sometimes it's nice to put that off for some weeks, months, or years if you can slide by, as long as the crank start can get'er going!

/ 2 wheel tractors and getting stuck #7  
When we had a big garden I would do the spring/fall preparation with my Troybilt Horse rototiller. For whatever reason - one year I buried that tiller in a very soft, wet spot in the garden. The harder I worked at getting it out - the deeper it sank. I finally got smart - quit - got the tractor - chain on the tiller to the bucket - easily lifted it out. It took an additional two weeks for that wet spot to dry.

/ 2 wheel tractors and getting stuck #8  
You should get the 4.5" wheel spacers if you're going out in uneven terrain, I found they really made my 853 feel more planted, but still not too wide. If your land is steep, going straight up and down a slope is no problem with the machines, but sideways along a slope can be hairy.

/ 2 wheel tractors and getting stuck #9  
DSC01382.JPG

Even with the chains, the Gravely would be stuck for good if it went into a dip. I notice, this is before I put some four or so hundred pounds on the back for counterweight.

/ 2 wheel tractors and getting stuck #10  
I've gotten my Grillo stuck numerous times, usually just have to muscle it out.

The worst was when I somehow got a tree between the wheel hub and the brush mower. Ended up removing the mower to get the tractor free. On a steep hill of course.