Cold Blooded Honda

/ Cold Blooded Honda #1  

NibbanaFarm

Silver Member
Tractor
BCS 739, Cub Cadet 2544
Went out to plow with the 739 this afternoon. It was 10 F. Had to pull the starter about 6-8 times to get the tractor started. Hadn't run it in about a month. Once running it seemed like it just never warmed up. Tended to stall when it came off idle from not being warm. If I ran it at higher rpm's for a while it warmed up a little and no problems. But if it idled for any time, it cooled off and tended to stall again. I'm using 5w-30 now. I wonder if I should switch to 0w-30 or 5w-20?

/ Cold Blooded Honda #2  
When I go out to start my tractor, I have to warm the Glow plugs much longer that normal on the cold days down here, so I can only imagine what it takes up there.

/ Cold Blooded Honda #3  
Oil won't be the problem. As you mentioned, it got warmed up, but wouldn't idle well. That's not a 0W vs5W oil issue. It's a fuel/air ratio issue, or weak spark at idle issue.

I'd first change your fuel filter. It could be that at higher RPM its got the power to suck fuel, but at lower RPM, it doesn't. It's a cheap starting point.

/ Cold Blooded Honda #5  
Also check the air filter... sorry if this is obvious stuff, but gotta start at the beginning. :)

/ Cold Blooded Honda #6  
Your engine oil weight could have an effect on your ability to crank it over, unsure any other effects on runability. So if that is the case, 0W30 would be the choice. Follow the rules on keeping fuel fresh, treat with an ounce of Seafoam plus occasionally use the bowl drain to get any condensation out would be a good idea too. Is icing a possibility? A typical snow thrower engine has no air filter for that reason. Other implements will sometimes have a baffle to flip to warm the intake air to lessen icing.

/ Cold Blooded Honda #7  
And make sure its fresh fuel if it sat for a year or so.

If that doesn't resolve it, get it running and spray a few shots of carb cleaner into it. Could just be a blob of gunk or dirt in there.

Then check your fuel line for cracks.

/ Cold Blooded Honda #8  
If none of the above, check your thermostat. Might not be closing so at idle it's cooling the engine too much.

/ Cold Blooded Honda
I just did the annual maintenance so filters and fluids are new or cleaned. Fuel strainer in the carb was clean. Manual choke. When the choke is partially closed it runs good. The only thing I didn't do was change the spark plug. I treat all the fuel that goes in it and it only sat for less than a month. Very hard pulling that engine over. Will try some 0w-30 and a new spark plug.

/ Cold Blooded Honda #10  
In the dead of winter around here my small engines are tough too pull. I switch to synthetic oil and it seems to help a bit in pull starting. On a cold night sit a few oz's of your conventional oil outside in a plastic cup and put a cup with some syn. oil next to it. In the morning see how each flows. It gives you a good idea of what is going on in the motor when you are trying to start it..