Grillo 85D versus Honda Commercial Tiller

/ Grillo 85D versus Honda Commercial Tiller #1  

zanemoseley

Tractor
none
I've got a 2 acre lot that my home is on, I've been raising a 30'x40' garden each year, I hire someone with a tractor to till it and try to maintain with a Mantis 2 cycle, major PITA if I get behind on the weeds as they wrap and clog the tines/shaft, god forbid my clay rich soil is wet and you want to till with weeds, the tines become a weedy ball of clay. When I actually get a good tiller I would like to enlarge the garden to 40'x60' or so over the next couple years.

So I got $1000 as a gift to get a tiller. I've quickly realized unless I wanted to chance it with a used Troy Bilt tiller from the Garden Way days there wasn't much of any quality for under $1k. Most of the sub $1k models are semi-disposable home tillers that may only last a couple seasons. I like buying quality equipment, I currently mow my 2 acre sloped lot with a $8k Scag VRide mower, I don't regret the purchase but I thought my wife was gonna swallow her tongue when I told her what it cost lol.

I did some research and have accepted the fact if I want a new production tiller I'll have to spend quite a bit more. Currently I'm looking at the Honda FRC800 w/Honda 9hp dedicated 20" tiller ($2550 delivered) or the Grillo 85D w/ Honda 9hp with their 22" tiller (likely narrowed to 18"-20", total costs is right at $3k delivered from Joel at Earth Tools. There's a very good chance I'll only ever use the Grill for tilling, "might" go with a pressure washer some day but I already have one. The differential will come in handy turning frequently in my smaller garden which is why I'm looking at it over the standard 85. I called Earth Tools twice today and so far was very pleased with their service, I've also read great things. My closest Grill dealer for warranty service is 2 hours away but I doubt I'll ever use the warranty due to the durability and my low projected usage, they also say the Grillo machines are easy to work on and will gladly ship you parts for warranty work. My local John Deere dealer is a Honda dealer so could be used for the 3 year warranty but doubt I would need it on this machine either. After the warranties are up I'll either work on them myself or take to a cheaper shop than John Deere, possibly one with BCS experience.

So what are your opinions of the Honda FRC800 versus the Grillo 85G, comparing them as tillers? Reliability... ease of use... quality of tilling...

Basically I'm having a hard time deciding between the 2. I'd love to save $450 by going Honda but 5 years from now I won't know any better, I've heard the Grillo machines are a great bang for the buck I plan on keeping this machine for a long time,, like 20-30-40 years,, should last as I'll only put 5-10 hours on it a years. From reading I have faith that Joel will be there for parts availability and be far more helpful over the phone to diagnose issues than if I just call Honda's customer service.

/ Grillo 85D versus Honda Commercial Tiller
Lol, I called it a Grill instead of Grillo a couple times above, tried to edit but no luck, don't judge me too harshly.

/ Grillo 85D versus Honda Commercial Tiller #3  
I bought the g85 with the Honda engine two years ago and it has exceeded my expectations. I have about 3x the size of your garden and had an old troy Bilt bronco that i fought with every year. I have heavy clay soil and the the Grillo goes through it very easy with no issues and the honda starts on the first or second pull. I have a local dealer if i should have any future issues. I wish I had bought the Grillo years ago.

/ Grillo 85D versus Honda Commercial Tiller #4  
Grillo has the best tiller attachment (I have a bcs but use a grillo tiller on it bc Joel @ earthtools recommends it).

Should mention older Honda pro level tillers had adjustable offset handlebars (can swing left or right and avoid trampling freshly tilled ground).

The new Honda's don't have this! They took a BIG step back right there imo.

/ Grillo 85D versus Honda Commercial Tiller #5  
BCS or Grillo, hands down. Have not used the Honda, but the BCS/Grillo's are much more flexible/adaptable and the differential makes all the difference in handling.

/ Grillo 85D versus Honda Commercial Tiller #6  
as cmyoung2 say, the differential is something most wouldn't want to live without once you've used it, but you'll have to step up to another price/model as the 85d is two locked wheels moving same time, doesn't have differential. But I have a pro honder tiller from the late 80s, it's really good compared to TSC or box store style tillers, but not as versatile as the 85d due to only running one built in attachment on the honda, and like I said, the new hondas took a step back with no adjustable steering column offset. I'd look at the 107d, it has all the bells n whistles you need and can run 90+ percent of the implements out there.

/ Grillo 85D versus Honda Commercial Tiller #7  
as cmyoung2 say, the differential is something most wouldn't want to live without once you've used it, but you'll have to step up to another price/model as the 85d is two locked wheels moving same time, doesn't have differential. But I have a pro honder tiller from the late 80s, it's really good compared to TSC or box store style tillers, but not as versatile as the 85d due to only running one built in attachment on the honda, and like I said, the new hondas took a step back with no adjustable steering column offset. I'd look at the 107d, it has all the bells n whistles you need and can run 90+ percent of the implements out there.

I think the statement about the 85D not having a differential is incorrect. I just looked at the Earth Tools website and it clearly states that the 'D' is for differential and that the 85D is the least expensive two wheel tractor with a differential.

I own a Grillo G110 that I bought 2 years ago (or is it 3?) from Joel at Earth Tools. I can attest to quality service from them. I have called several times with questions on maintenance and either Joel or one of his technicians immediately handles the questions. From everything I have read, Joel is the American Guru of two wheel tractors, both BCS and Grillo. In fact, he is the USA importer of the Grillo tractors.

I don't have any experience with the Honda tiller, but I can say that the Grillo tiller on my G110 works great. The tines rotate faster than most tillers so it makes quick work of the job.

Although the Grillo may cost a little more, I think you will love the differential. You can spin the machine on a dime (if you can keep up with it as you get whipped around) and don't leave a divot every time you reverse direction. You might also consider other attachments that you might want in the future. I now have a tiller, snow thrower, BIO 90 chipper, and Bellon brush mower. I use the Grillo as much or more than my Kioti NX 4510. My original use for the Grillo was cutting the hill behind our house and chipping up branches from trees we cut down. The Grillo has exceeded my expectations and I have been very satisfied with my decision to buy it as well as my decision to buy from Earth Tools.

/ Grillo 85D versus Honda Commercial Tiller #8  
I think the statement about the 85D not having a differential is incorrect. I just looked at the Earth Tools website and it clearly states that the 'D' is for differential and that the 85D is the least expensive two wheel tractor with a differential.

I own a Grillo G110 that I bought 2 years ago (or is it 3?) from Joel at Earth Tools. I can attest to quality service from them. I have called several times with questions on maintenance and either Joel or one of his technicians immediately handles the questions. From everything I have read, Joel is the American Guru of two wheel tractors, both BCS and Grillo. In fact, he is the USA importer of the Grillo tractors.

I don't have any experience with the Honda tiller, but I can say that the Grillo tiller on my G110 works great. The tines rotate faster than most tillers so it makes quick work of the job.

Although the Grillo may cost a little more, I think you will love the differential. You can spin the machine on a dime (if you can keep up with it as you get whipped around) and don't leave a divot every time you reverse direction. You might also consider other attachments that you might want in the future. I now have a tiller, snow thrower, BIO 90 chipper, and Bellon brush mower. I use the Grillo as much or more than my Kioti NX 4510. My original use for the Grillo was cutting the hill behind our house and chipping up branches from trees we cut down. The Grillo has exceeded my expectations and I have been very satisfied with my decision to buy it as well as my decision to buy from Earth Tools.

aha I see my mistake. It wasn't in my head that there was an 85, AND and 85d model. I thought there was only one 85 model that didn't have differential. I stand corected, thanks.

/ Grillo 85D versus Honda Commercial Tiller #9  
If you could be happy with the Honda, do not mind used, and have Home Depot’s with rental centers nearby, may I suggest looking at the inventory they are selling. I picked up my FRC800 for $550. It had 23.7 hours on it. Not a single issue with the machine. Cosmetically, only the tines had scratches.

I have several friends that pickup tools from the inventory that Home Depot rental centers sell.