How Diverse Are Flail Mowers?

/ How Diverse Are Flail Mowers? #1  

Sassy Fras

Tractor
None Yet
Being new to the area, I have begun shopping for a 2-wheel tractor and implements for help with the largest home garden (level: 70' x 30') I've ever had the pleasure of working. I will make my own compost, mulch heavily, and rotate cover crops. Neither I, nor my husband, has any experience with such equipment (except rented tillers), so I have turned to reading and watching video clips. So far, I *think* what I need is a rotary plow (for making raised beds), a power harrow, and a flail mower (for cover crops). BTW, I'm leaning towards the BCS 739.

Now, the flail mower and the power harrow both have "egg beater" blades, which makes me wonder whether the flail mower could also be used to smooth the tops of raised beds (in lieu of the harrow), after which I could finish the beds with a push roller. "Killing two birds with one stone," so to speak. Has anybody tried this? (i.e. could I make-do without the harrow?)

And on a similar note, I'm very interested to learn which implements (for the 2-wheel tractor) experienced gardeners consider essential - and why. I'm not yet confident with my choices, so feedback from those who've been in the trenches would be great!

Many thanks!

/ How Diverse Are Flail Mowers? #2  
If money is no object, power harrow is the best tilling implement for prepping beds imo...the tilth and leveling effect/consistency speaks for itself. However, a good tiller fulfills the same purpose at about 1/3rd or 1/4th the price. If you want to limit tilling then you can just set your tiller to only till 2" down or so, and leave the dirt below that undisturbed. I don't think I plant any seed that needs more than 2" of loose dirt for germination. You can also limit tilling vigor simply by not running your tractor engine at max throttle/rpm, this limits the battering of your soil. If you are turning over beds 2, 3 or 4 times a season like a market garden pro, then the harrow makes more and more sense for limiting soil damage and time efficiency, but if you are growing long season crops like tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, I find I only till once a season so it's not really a big deal.

If you want to do raised beds, maintain them every 2-3 years, and/or possibly expand your garden at some point, then the rotary plow is a must have. I also think the new adjustable wheel width system sold by earthtools is a must have, it allows you to straddle your beds when using an implement like tiller, harrow, cultivator weeding shanks, or subsoiler.

If you are a no till enthusiast...you may want to look into getting the subsoiler. It is very similar to using a broadfork to loosen your soil without really disturbing the layers or stirring up weeds. It's not as wide a worked soil, but it's easier and I suppose your could adjust the position and make several runs if necessary. However, the subsoiler requires you use wheel weights (but if you get the adjustable wheel width system, you can hang olympic style weights on that system.

I personally don't have the money for a power harrow at the moment, so I purchased a grading blade/snow blade. This, along with the wheels adjusted out so I won't be driving on my raised beds, should allow me to level them off quite nicely. It will probably be pretty close to the power harrow except I'll be having to make at least two passes (one time through with rotary plow or tiller, then one with leveling blade). I'm also getting by with a bushhog mower that came with my used machine, rather than a flail, also due to money constraints. I upgrade based on market garden sales, which are quite humble. I did about 3000 the year before last, and 6000 last year, but that includes increased strawberry sales and value added canned foods like pickles that I sold a lot more this past season than before. And that's basically full time work for 3-4 months and part time work for another couple months.

I've used riding mowers and such to do some minor soil leveling in the past, but I never feel good about it, because I know it dulls and trashes the blades, which harms the mowers primary purpose of cutting. Also the depth of soil you can work is limited.

For me, the must haves for the bcs are a tilling solution, and the rotary plow. So that would be, primary tilling, and secondary tilling solutions. I'm sure you could slide by with a moldboard plow and tiller as well, and then maybe the raised bed toolbar with two discs on the ends for building your raised beds. But it's definitely not the equal of the rotary plow for this task.

Last edited:
   / How Diverse Are Flail Mowers? #3  
Jcraftenworth has some really good points. I have several attachments, gardening and otherwise. I have a couple of fair size gardens, clay, with very few rocks. I would not want to get rid of the rotary plow. Mine is reversible. Also use the tiller a lot. I don't have the power harrow, probably will not get one. I do use the root/potato plow, and since I had the tool carrier, I got the bed shaper, maybe not necessary but really helps before I roll plastic(by hand). I also have several mowers, love the flail especially for mulching in the garden. Actually everywhere except the yard. I would not use it to level beds, spins too fast, would be rough on the blades. Maybe dragging a chain with the bed shaper would work. Out of all my implements, the power barrow is by far my favorite, mine is home built. It is the one implement I use year round. On your choice of tractors, I love my BCS 850, Honda electric start. I think any BCS would be a good choice, BUT, I would very highly recommend getting one with steering brakes, especially for tight garden work and if you have any slopes. The differential makes a big difference, but the steering brakes make all the difference. I'm about 6', 220 lbs, and horsing around the tiller or rotary plow without the brakes is very tough, the brakes make it fairly easy.