BCS 735 axle diameter

/ BCS 735 axle diameter #1  

grmn8

Tractor
BCS 735
Hi all. New to the forum and new to 2-wheel tractors and engines in general. Am starting up a smallholding and just bought and old BCS 735. Does anyone know offhand what the diameter of the axle is? I'm looking for some second hand steel wheels in pursuit of breaking new ground. Thanks in advance if you know off-hand.

/ BCS 735 axle diameter #2  
I think what you really need is the bolt pattern/spacing for the hubs, so just measure what you have. You will just need to change wheels. Check the wheel accessory page on the Earth Tools website. You may be able to find a 4 bolt car wheel that will match, or use an old wheel and drill new bolt holes. Then weld cleats on the rim and you are ready. I think all the BCS wheel bolt patterns are the same, don't know about other makes. Regardless, if you can find some used steel wheels the correct overall diameter, you can always just redrill the holes to match.
Welcome to the forum.

/ BCS 735 axle diameter
I think what you really need is the bolt pattern/spacing for the hubs, so just measure what you have. You will just need to change wheels. Check the wheel accessory page on the Earth Tools website. You may be able to find a 4 bolt car wheel that will match, or use an old wheel and drill new bolt holes. Then weld cleats on the rim and you are ready. I think all the BCS wheel bolt patterns are the same, don't know about other makes. Regardless, if you can find some used steel wheels the correct overall diameter, you can always just redrill the holes to match.
Welcome to the forum.
steel wheels 1.jpgsteel wheels 2.jpg
Hi and thanks for your reply and the welcome. Attached are pictures of a couple of wheels I found for sale in my neck of the woods (Belgium - though I'm Canadian). They seem to be a different system to what Earthtools offer and when I spoke to one seller he said to measure the axle. Your suggestion of drilling holes to match the hubs got me thinking maybe I could I cut off the 'axle attachment' in the picture and drill to match the hub, but I don't think that would give enough clearance for the engine. Forgive me if this is stupid newby question, but do the wheels need to be the exact same size as what I have or is there some tolerance with that?

/ BCS 735 axle diameter #4  
Those do look a little small in diameter, there is some tolerance, but as you change the outside tire diameter, you change the tractor ground speed, larger=faster. I can see where engine clearance could be an issue with those. Another option to improve traction is to add weight. I can add about 80 lbs of barbell weights to the wheels, and can add more to the engine if needed. I also have foam filled tires that add another 40 lbs/set, and if I get really wild, I have another set to make duals, plus I filled the 6" wheel extenders with lead for another 16 lbs. Don't need it often, but the wide duals help when mowing steep areas. I have pulled the hubs to work on the brakes, but I don't remember the axle being something you could slide that type of wheel over. May be possible to make a barbell type adapter to bolt on the existing hub, but not sure if you could get it strong enough. I would try weights and regular tires first, cheaper and easy to change. I use my 850 with a potato plow with weights, no problem, but I have never tried a turning plow. Another thought is to add a set of tire chains, they do help traction. Mine are cut down car tire chains, usually of snow, but sometimes mud.

/ BCS 735 axle diameter
Those do look a little small in diameter, there is some tolerance, but as you change the outside tire diameter, you change the tractor ground speed, larger=faster. I can see where engine clearance could be an issue with those. Another option to improve traction is to add weight. I can add about 80 lbs of barbell weights to the wheels, and can add more to the engine if needed. I also have foam filled tires that add another 40 lbs/set, and if I get really wild, I have another set to make duals, plus I filled the 6" wheel extenders with lead for another 16 lbs. Don't need it often, but the wide duals help when mowing steep areas. I have pulled the hubs to work on the brakes, but I don't remember the axle being something you could slide that type of wheel over. May be possible to make a barbell type adapter to bolt on the existing hub, but not sure if you could get it strong enough. I would try weights and regular tires first, cheaper and easy to change. I use my 850 with a potato plow with weights, no problem, but I have never tried a turning plow. Another thought is to add a set of tire chains, they do help traction. Mine are cut down car tire chains, usually of snow, but sometimes mud.

All good tips - thanks for your help and time