Convert A Rotary Plow To A Roterra?

/ Convert A Rotary Plow To A Roterra? #1  

CADplans

Elite Member
Tractor
584 IH 4WD
Back in the early 1970's, to control Johnson grass, we used Treflan.
The herbicide was perfect, but, as a minimum, it needed double disking,,,
To reduce the trips over the field, my BIL purchased a Lely Roterra.
The Lely Roterra did a better job of incorporating Treflan than a disk ever could.

When you compare the Roterra design to a rotary plow, it looks like the rotary plow conversion may be rather simple,,

7896_2015021295715-1423688235_tabs-product.jpg

I may attempt this as a type of cultivator,, just one pair of tines,, the diameter is TBD,,,

What do you think, would this be a cheap, effective cultivator??:confused:

/ Convert A Rotary Plow To A Roterra? #2  
The Rottera looks like a version of a power harrow.
R2 Rinaldi new & improved 3" power harrow - YouTube
BCS America
Earth Tools

The rotary plow axis of rotation is not perpendicular to the tractor axle. It's tilted to one side. The coupling would need to be modified so that the axis of rotation is vertical with the tires .

The tines and attachment of the tines to the rotary plow shaft will need to be rugged enough to survive an encounter with a rock.

The modified unit is likely to shake sideways as the tines rotate.

/ Convert A Rotary Plow To A Roterra?
The Gravely tractor has two rotary plows, both will adjust to vertical,,
This is the older version,
mudb_zps4378e55f.jpg

I really like the tine design of the BCS, I may look into purchasing two of the tines.
The Gravely rotary plow is plenty strong,, rocks do not bother it,

I want to build one, as I am not doing this commercially, but, rather as a hobby. $2K is a LOT of money for a hobby harrow,

I think one 20" diameter spindle with 2 teeth may do what I want.
I have a cultivator for the Gravely, but, controlling depth is difficult, it is always tilling too deep.

/ Convert A Rotary Plow To A Roterra? #4  
With two teeth 20" apart as soon as one tooth digs in more than the other the tractor will turn violently.

/ Convert A Rotary Plow To A Roterra? #5  
Whoa!! This is another learning experience. I searched Roterra and rotary plow and can find no adequate explanation. What is this thing - what does it do??

CADplans - your picture shows a very interesting piece of equipment.

/ Convert A Rotary Plow To A Roterra? #6  
I have a cultivator for the Gravely, but, controlling depth is difficult, it is always tilling too deep.
If you are looking for a project then a roller to control the depth of your cultivator/tiller would be a possibility. BCS America

/ Convert A Rotary Plow To A Roterra?
Whoa!! This is another learning experience. I searched Roterra and rotary plow and can find no adequate explanation. What is this thing - what does it do??

CADplans - your picture shows a very interesting piece of equipment.

There are several shown on YouTube,, like this one,,