2 Wheel Tractors - Buying & Using

/ 2 Wheel Tractors - Buying & Using
This photo shows the quick attach fittings. The male shaft is attached to the implement (a chipper/shredder in the photo). This slides into the female fitting on the tractor (to the right). The pin (shown just below the red tab spring) then drops into the hole on the female fitting to lock the thing together. You can just see the lugs sticking out of the attachment which engage similar lugs on the tractor’s PTO. Takes seconds to switch implements.

Attachments

• 492250-BCS-quick-attach-TBN.jpg
    492250-BCS-quick-attach-TBN.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,394
Betcha can’t guess what this is! Just kidding. Yes that’s a standard 1 3/8” PTO shaft to which you can hook any 3 point, PTO driven CUT implement. What use is it? Well, for driving a 6’ finish mower not much. But for driving SIZE APPROPRIATE equipment driven by a standard PTO which is operated in a stationary mode very useful. For example, water or irrigation or trash pumps, generators, hydraulic pumps, grinders, etc. etc. etc. Just add two wheels and a simple fitting to connect to the 2 wheel tractor hitch, snap on any standard PTO shaft and you’re ready to go. The BCS tractor will tow it anywhere it needs to be used and power it when you’re there.

The fitting below the tractor (on the ground) is the standard quick attach fitting usually on the tractor. I removed it to attach the standard PTO fitting adaptor for the photo. Removing & replacing took 5 minutes. Also, this photo shows the wheel spacers bolted to the brake housing. Up to three sets of these spacers can be attached.

Attachments

• 492252-BCS-PTO-adaptor.jpg
    492252-BCS-PTO-adaptor.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,392
This photo shows the wheel weight system. A post is bolted to the wheel lugs and standard, inexpensive bar bell weights slid on. When using ground engaging equipment (such as a single shank chisel plow, root diggers, plows, etc.) where you need max traction, you can increase the weight of the tractor from 300 pounds to near 500 pounds. When not needed, pull the click pin on the end of the post and slide the weights off. The post stays on. Of course, the spacers (show above) can also be used to add dual wheels (or even triples). I had duals on my Gravelies and they gave great traction. Haven’t felt the need for duals on this though (yet).

Attachments

• 492253-BCS-wheel-weights.jpg
    492253-BCS-wheel-weights.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,080
This type of equipment can use any small engine you might wish. An adaptor plate (just to the right of the blue transaxle housing in the attached picture) is bolted to the transaxle. The engine is bolted to the adaptor plate. There are two types of bolt patterns, European and American style. Both bolt patterns can be used (just switch the adaptor plate). The engine on this is a 12hp Kohler (made by Yamaha I believe). However, you can use Lombardini industrial diesels, Yanmar diesels, and a myriad of gasoline engines.

Attachments

• 492254-BCS-engine-transaxle-connection.jpg
    492254-BCS-engine-transaxle-connection.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 929
The towing attachment on the tractor uses a bracket to pin on a tow bar which is then attached to whatever you want to tow. In the attached photo, you see a standard tow behind dump cart (with a seat attached). A 1 ¼” iron pipe is clamped to the tongue (with muffler clamps), a cross piece (angle iron) is clamped to the iron pipe and a hole drilled for a quick pin. The tractor tow adaptor is slid into the pipe and pinned in place. You only need one adaptor since it can be used with whatever implement you are towing. This system works fine as I have used the cart for hauling mulch & chips so far. I will be getting a lawn roller also. Any small tow implement that is used with so-called garden tractors can be used with the 2 wheel tractor with slight modification.

Attachments

• 492256-BCS-cart-hookup-TBN.jpg
    492256-BCS-cart-hookup-TBN.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 2,125
I purchased a number of implements with the tractor & will be getting more. I wanted at the minimum to replace the implements I had for the Gravelies – which, except for a sickle bar mower I have done. So, I will post only a couple of pics on the implements. Many, many are available including hay balers, tedder/rakes, sprayers, planters, etc. etc. etc. etc.

This photo shows the chipper/shredder disassembled. I have owned or used a number of chippers (including a 4” Troybuilt Tomahawk, a 5” 3pt PTO Goosen and a 6” Vermeer). This chipper is only rated at 3” and so the output (measured in bushels per hour) is less - probably 70% of the Goosen, and 90% of the Troybuilt. This machine produces the best quality output of any though. Also, there are screens available down to ¼” in size which will produce a very fine output when shredding and (I have been told) works great cracking corn (for feed). It also has a set of rollers to allow the shredding wet material. The feed rate on the chipper is about 40-50 feet per minute. It makes a real nice 3/16” size chip.

Attachments

• 492257-BCS-chipper-disassembled-TBN.jpg
    492257-BCS-chipper-disassembled-TBN.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 909
This is a rotary plow which augers the ground and produces a very good bed. You can see the quick attach in the photo. It will “plow” about 10” deep and works better than the old Gravely rotary plow I had before. I don’t believe these are available (yet) on 4 wheel CUTs.

Attachments

• 492258-BCS-rotary-plow-TBN.jpg
    492258-BCS-rotary-plow-TBN.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,389
Comparison of the BCS 850 model and the Gravely L. The general impression is that the Gravely L was heavier, more solid build and materials. However, the BCS is clearly more flexible and better designed. Same for the implements. The BCS implements WORK better than the Gravely implements, even if they’re not quite as heavily made. The 38” BCS finish mower makes a better cut than the Gravely (40”). The BCS tiller tills better and the rotary plow is easier to use than the Gravely was as well as producing a better cut.

/ 2 Wheel Tractors - Buying & Using #109  
Nice series of photos JEH and a nice thread as well.

I am glad you started it and have enjoyed learning a lot about 2-wheel tractors as the result... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ 2 Wheel Tractors - Buying & Using #110  
Good pictures and explanations. Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif