What can an old 2 wheeler do?

/ What can an old 2 wheeler do? #1  

jperry507

Bronze Member
I'd love to own a brand new BCS with necessary attachments, but that just isn't going to happen for a year or two, at least.

Every year my garden gets a little bit bigger. I had an 800 square foot garden this summer, and I think I'd like to double/triple its' size for next year. Up to this point I've done almost all of the work by hand; I know I can't keep up weeding a 2100 square foot garden with a hoe.

My father has a homemade tractor, a 2 bottom plow, and a disk harrow. I have a friend that has an old simplicity 2 wheeler that I might pick up (more about that later on). My dream is to have a cultivator, a wagon/wheelbarrow, and a seeder for the two wheeler. Any garden jobs that cannot be completed with these tools will be done by hand or with rental equip.

I have heard many good things about BCS tillers, and I know many people till between vegetable rows, but I am afraid of creating a hard bottom as a result of over tilling.

Do any of the two wheel tractor owners on TBN use a cultivator? Is the tractor heavy enough for a cultivator to work well?

I plan to buy used seeders and customize them to tow behind a two wheeler.

Thanks
-Jim

/ What can an old 2 wheeler do? #2  
gravely's hayday was the 2 wheel tractor. attachments like a 30" brush hog, rotary and reg tine tiller, tool holder (for culitvator attachemnts), cart... it was a staple in the large garden world.

/ What can an old 2 wheeler do?
schmism said:
gravely's hayday was the 2 wheel tractor. attachments like a 30" brush hog, rotary and reg tine tiller, tool holder (for culitvator attachemnts), cart... it was a staple in the large garden world.

Forgive my ignorance, but as far as I know the two wheelers of yesteryear ran implements with "V" belts. Were they reliable? Were they efficient at transferring power to the implement? I mean, there must be a reason why BCS utilizes their version of a PTO, right?

At this point I am only expecting a two wheeler to cultivate and seed my vegetables in rows.

I might not be giving gravely much credit, but I have never seen one in action, only in the antique ring at the town fair.

/ What can an old 2 wheeler do? #4  
I've owned a Gravely two wheeler since 1974, and bought the one I have now new in 1978. It uses a PTO to power the rotary plow, tiller, mower, post hole digger, and who knows how many other attachments. I also have a "tool holder" to which cultivator feet can be attached in a variety of positions. This cultivator attaches to the front of the tractor, not behind. I've used it some, but much prefer the tiller attachment as it really pulverizes the soil. It's not for breaking soil, though. The tractor is heavy and provides traction to do it's job. Dedicated, single use machines usually do their jobs better than multi-purpose machines. I can attest to the fact that the older two wheel Gravely tractors are well built and if properly maintained will be the last one you'll need.

Thanks for the information.

I think the simplicity that a friend was going to give me is about 50 years old. I need to take another look at it, but I don't think it had a PTO.

Maybe it isn't worth the trouble...

I just called my friend, the tractor is a David Bradley, not a simplicity. He received it when he helped to clean out an old barn. My buddy said he planned to use it, but hasn't in three years. Doesn't think he has any attachments either.

The model is similar to this picture I found online. David Bradley

I am pretty sure a two wheeler is the direction I should be headed, but I want to make sure I get one big and reliable enough get some work done. Thanks for all of your help so far.

/ What can an old 2 wheeler do? #7  
Just checking in with 2 Gravely's, a 75 Com 12 and a 50 L. The com 12 is used weekly if not sometimes daily around here. In the spring I put on the rotary plow and put the unit on a trailer and go rip up gardens, nice thing about it easy to put on a 4x8 tilt bed trailer and go. After the plowing is done on goes a mower, I use it to cut steep areas or areas to small for the CUT, but usually once a year I cut the whole place with it just for fun, lots of walking in 4 acres. Fall brings leaf mulching and brush/weed mowing. Winter arrives and on goes the snowblower, I love seeing a deep snow gettin flung out that 8" discharge hole and goin 30 some feet what a snow show! These 2 wheel machines can do alot, and most of them are built to last a life time, unlike the toss away equipment we see today, but they are pricey.

When I started this thread I was unsure if a gravely or bradley would be able to handle simpler tasks like pulling a set of seeders or pulling a cultivator, but you guys are telling me that your two wheelers handle more than that. That is great!

Here is what I need to do:

1. Tow wheel seeders
2. Cultivate row vegetables
3. Hill/Furrow potatoes
4. Tow/Carry/Push a manual dumping cart

I would not mind being able to do these chores either:

1. Pull a 30 gallon water cart.
2. Harvest potatoes
3. Sickle bar/brush mower
4. Tilling raised beds

As I said in my opening post, ground implementation will be completed by a homemade tractor. I have seen photos online of a rotary plow. It looks like it works, but I have never seen one in person...and don't know anyone that has/had one. If I ever was about to buy a BCS, I would order the rotary plow video (why aren't these available online???) before I made my purchase. The BCS store website states that they will demonstrate attachments for potential buyers, I live within a 1.5 hour drive of the store, but would be wasting their time at this stage in the game.

It isn't easy to find used gravely tractors for sale (I check ebay and craigslist daily).

I have rented a BCS 710 from a local ACE hardware store. It worked great on tilling the established garden, but was difficult to break new ground.

/ What can an old 2 wheeler do? #9  
I think all of your tasks are well within the abilities of these machines. One of the other nice things with these tractors is you can fab up just about anything for them if you can't find it. Those BCS tractors are nice, I'd like to up grade but to replace everything I have would run around 9 0r 10k. the BCS rotary plow is suppose to be much better than the old Gravely from what I understand. I'd like to have an 850/2/3 series machine they have the steer brakes and diff lock along with a good choice of ground speeds.

js5020 said:
Those BCS tractors are nice, I'd like to up grade but to replace everything I have would run around 9 0r 10k. the BCS rotary plow is suppose to be much better than the old Gravely from what I understand.

My wish list added up into the area of 7k. That is why I'd like to get an older two wheeler first to make sure it is right for me.

I've also read that the gravely rotary plow is tougher on the operator than the BCS. I guess they both work well.

Thanks for the help