BCS Diesel

/ BCS Diesel #1  

TimberXX

Platinum Member
Tractor
BCS 770 Italian 2 Wheel Tractor, Grillo 107d, BCS 853, Deere x350, Deere x730
I hear from a dealer yesterday that BCS is coming out with an air cooled yanmar diesel next year for the 8XX. If you check the Yanmar website the largest EPA certified engine is 8 hp. How many people would need an air cooled diesel? How long do they run? What would you guys buy?

/ BCS Diesel #2  
The machines from earthtools have been available with a diesel for some time, they probably swap them at their location? I don't know about using one though, I would think they would have more vibration, noise, and smell. I don't know about winter starting. Would I buy one with a diesel? depends on what I intended to do with it and inital purchase cost and engine brand.

/ BCS Diesel #4  
Diesel has more torque than a gasser at a lower RPM and uses less fuel in the process. Diesel engines are always built stronger than gassers because of higher compression in the diesels. Some people like to grow/make their own diesel too...

Remember: torque is power, horsepower is a conservation piece.

/ BCS Diesel
I was curious how many people run air cooled diesels? Any idea how many hours they run? I started a thread on this a long time ago. didnt get any concrete answers. The obvious answers are all over this forum and deal with liquid cooled units.

/ BCS Diesel #6  
There are a lot of air cooled diesel engines in use. Deutz makes a number of them. Deutz tractors while not popular here in the USA were at one time sold here and are very reliable. Lincoln welders use a Deutz air cooled diesel 4 cylinder.

Ottawa Corp., makes yard horses (the trucks that spot trailers) and they all use air cooled diesels.

Yanmar has been making air cooled diesels for quite a few years so I'd not be hesitant about buying one. Hatz also makes a well built air cooled diesel.

/ BCS Diesel #7  
Another advantage of a diesel engine vs. a gasser is their ability to operate at steeper angles. I have a 850 with the Kohler Command 12, and have repeatedly fouled my plug in a cloud of smoke when I've tried to brush-hog along a hillside that tilts the machine toward the cylinder head. This is a crying shame, since one of the primary advantages of a 2-wheeler is its ability to safely traverse across medium-to-steep slopes.

I am actually considering an upgrade to a diesel engine for my 850 one of these days but $$$ do not permit now.

If you plan on using your BCS for any slope/ brushmowing/ other steep work, I would say that the cost of a diesel is more than worthwhile. But for just tilling, woodchipping, and other flat/ bottom-land work, the Kohler has always been fine and powerful enough.
-otus