Engine ideas

/ Engine ideas #321  
Not yet, waiting for the carb first. Was bidding on two acutions lost the first auction, but won the second one, it should be here in a couple of days and I'll bring it all back into work to get it turned down and running. Probably do the build in the spring, give me a chance to find a gravely with a already dead engine, or give me a chance to blow this one up brush hogging 15 acres :D

Still working on the 15 acres ??:thumbsup:

/ Engine ideas #322  
There is nothing to brush hog its all snow!

Though I found on the engine I need a new governor kohler removed the normal governor and replaced it with a stepper motor / electronics.
So back to fleabay I go.

Though I've noticed that 6.6hp L8 is a gas hog! The 8hp on the 5240 sips gas in comparison I've done everyone's sidewalks in the entire block three times on the same tank of gas with the 5240 and I only done my driveway 1 1/2 times with the same amount of gas in the L8.

/ Engine ideas #323  
The Gravely 6.6 & 7.6 HP engines are gas hogs but they produce tremendous low RPM torque - much more than most modern engines of similar HP. So they have their advantages & disadvantages...

/ Engine ideas #324  
Hi Guys
we have talked about the old Model L so long.
I through I would add another man's Idea on repower.
of a 5665 walk behind .

Bob did the best write up that I have ever seen.

Repowering a Gravely Tractor

Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks Bruce g

Last edited:
   / Engine ideas #325  
What a nice write-up! Glad you could help this person out, Bruce.

Hi Guys
we have talked about the old Model L so long.
I through I would add another man's Idea on repower.
of a 5665 walk behind .

Bob did the best write up that I have ever seen.

Repowering a Gravely Tractor

Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks Bruce g

/ Engine ideas #326  
Hi! You know ! Gravely snowblowers are the best you can find on two-wheels. This is a good reason for fit a new engine on old Gravely. You cannot find a better . I seen a 12 hp Gravely Blow snow over 40-60 ft. away. I take a pict. But Not easy! you can fit any snowblower front end on Gravely because same rotation. I fit a Toro snowblower on my Grillo . I use quick-hitch adapter I join pics. Good Luck and Happy New Year Everybody. Oldmech

We are in the Winter doldrums so I'd thought I'd pose a question to all you experts out there. In Oldmech's post (above) there is a picture of his Grillo with a Honda engine. It looks like any normal Honda (or clone) you would see. If you've ever used a dedicated snowblower with a 4-cycle engine like my MTD, you know they come with Winterized engines. That is, there is no air filter and there is a small shroud over the muffler and carb to preheat the air. So my question is - if an engine like the Honda is going to be used at sub-freezing temperatures, should you Winterize the engine?

/ Engine ideas #327  
Hi! I use my Grillo 107d Gx 340 Honda with old Toro front end snowblower for now two years. With No problem.
Honda make good snoblowers . They use a single foam element air breather on Honda GX engine.
Mine use a two elements (foam and paper element ) air breather. Foam element is better for snow. Snow is water no good for paper element.
Good luck ! Oldmech

/ Engine ideas #328  
OldMech,

I have read this whole post again for the third time. This time I saved all the pictures for reference. I am on the hunt for a candidate for repower. You and the others have done a great job. It is impressive.

I like how you used the T head crankcase to mount your diesel. It appears that you cut the crank shaft in order to use the flexible connector and it appears that the remaining part of the crank with the gear is resting in the output shaft bearing. If that is so, how does it stay aligned and not wobble around being mounted in the one bearing? Thanks for your help.

/ Engine ideas #329  
OldMech,

I have read this whole post again for the third time. This time I saved all the pictures for reference. I am on the hunt for a candidate for repower. You and the others have done a great job. It is impressive.

I like how you used the T head crankcase to mount your diesel. It appears that you cut the crank shaft in order to use the flexible connector and it appears that the remaining part of the crank with the gear is resting in the output shaft bearing. If that is so, how does it stay aligned and not wobble around being mounted in the one bearing? Thanks for your help.

I'm going to stick my 2 cents in here. First off, I think Oldmech's use of the old crankcase as an adapter is very clever. I PM'ed him about it several times and he answered a lot of questions about how he did it. The main bronze bearing is about 1.5" long which is long enough to keep the gear shaft properly aligned so it does not wobble. Where his diesel engine enters the crankcase he removed the original Gravely ball bearing and oil seal and replaced it with an oil seal fitted to the DEK crankshaft. His system is a marvelous piece of engineering.

/ Engine ideas #330  
I'm going to stick my 2 cents in here. First off, I think Oldmech's use of the old crankcase as an adapter is very clever. I PM'ed him about it several times and he answered a lot of questions about how he did it. The main bronze bearing is about 1.5" long which is long enough to keep the gear shaft properly aligned so it does not wobble. Where his diesel engine enters the crankcase he removed the original Gravely ball bearing and oil seal and replaced it with an oil seal fitted to the DEK crankshaft. His system is a marvelous piece of engineering.

Thanks, One. Worth more than $0.02! :laughing:

Thanks for the info. I have not got my hands on an L model yet so I can see first hand 'the lay of the land' so to speak. I like oldmech's kind of engineering especially the $ constraint part. It forces you to think about alternatives sometimes.

Yes, if the output is 1.5" long, then I can see how that would work. Is the Gravely engine output bearing a sleeve bearing or was this fit in by oldmech?

A related subject: I noticed that someone on eBay had a Robin OHV 9HP engine available for $275 including shipping. I looked up the torque specs and it was something around 13.8 ft/lbs at 2500rpm. It looks like a good fit for an L repower. It is not up there with the Gravely engine which is somewhere around 18 ft/lbs I think. Anyway, on an L model, if the (Robin) engine speed is limited to 2800rpm or so, is the lack of torque very noticable in running implements like the 30" mower or the rotary plow? I sure am itching to find all this out in a practical way. Spring fever, I guess!!

Last edited: