Engine ideas

/ Engine ideas
Your right anything smaller would not have sufficent torque, but it is tempting to try, of course it's also tempting to hang that 18 hp briggs twin I have laying around on it.

/ Engine ideas #32  
"of course it's also tempting to hang that 18 hp briggs twin I have laying around on it."

There you go. ;) - Kris :D

/ Engine ideas
Your right a smaller engine probably wouldn't work, to limited in what the machine would be able to do. I do have an 18 hp twin laying around,,,, then again a diesel would be cool,,I'll have to give it more thought, Wal-Mart has plenty of barbell weights to hang on the front for counterbalance.

/ Engine ideas
Now it posts,,,, sorry for the duplicate

/ Engine ideas #35  
js5020 said:
Your right a smaller engine probably wouldn't work, to limited in what the machine would be able to do. I do have an 18 hp twin laying around,,,, then again a diesel would be cool,,I'll have to give it more thought, Wal-Mart has plenty of barbell weights to hang on the front for counterbalance.

Why spend the extra bucks when you have that 18hp twin ? Slap that baby on there ! - Kris :D

/ Engine ideas
Well I decided to totally rip this thing apart and replace and repaint. I was surprised at 57 years old all the " hard " parts were good a little wear on a couple but nothing major, need to replace the shipper shaft the pin is more than half way through, but other than that just gaskets and seals. It has the L 8 lead gearing, wonder if I should find LI or LS gearing since I'm this far? I'll have to look up the ground speed charts.

/ Engine ideas #37  
Js5020- Gravely trannys are rock solid. I inspected my clutches and gears last year and after 45yrs there was no wear. The shipper shaft P/N- 12661 is easy to replace. While your there check the Shipper shaft guide P/N- 45187 and spring P/N- 12702 and ball P/N- 274301, and the shifter body P/N-12693 for wear, make sure everything moves smooth. Everyone I know who has an "L" tranny changes to the multi speed (8 speed) tranny. The thinking is if your going to go thru the trouble of regearing get all of the speed ranges. I think you should regear because you can do more with the machine, an "L" tranny is to fast, it's only really good for mowing large areas. The speed ranges are:

Model "L"/"C" 8 lead worm- 4mph

Model "LI"/"CI" 6 lead worm- 3mph

Model "LS"/"CS" 4 lead worm- 2mph

Model "L8"/"C8" Swiftamatic 2 speed differential High range- 4mph, Low range-2mph

- Kris :)

/ Engine ideas
Thanks for the speed chart, I'm gonna put the intermediate gears in this one. As I may have mentioned earlier I have a Com 12 it has the swiftmatic and it's nice but I don't use low axle often and I mostly use high axle, low trans for the 3 mph. If I had only one of these it would get the swiftmatic in it, like you said it makes the machine more versatile. But this one is gonna have a limited range of tasks which will not include snowblowing or using the rotary plow so I think the LI gears will work out. Off to evil-bay.

/ Engine ideas #39  
Js5020- The "LI" and swiftamatic gearing are the most popular. The swiftamatic was only better than the "L" or "LS" not the "LI". The "LI" gearing really can do it all. - Kris :)

/ Engine ideas #40  
Hi! Everybody. on my last research I found the 6.6hp Gravely torque range.
Infos. The Gravely 6.6 hp gives 15.8 LBF. Torque Honda 9 hp. =14.1 LBF 11hp=17.4 LBF 13 HP Honda GX390= 19.5 LBF. Kawasaki Fe350d 11.5 HP = 17.4 LBF Kohler cs10 HP =14.7LBF Kohler CS12hp=18.4 LBF Dek diesel 10 HP F400 Gives 19.5 LBF . Please look KAWA FE350D spec. Welcome to KAWPOWR.COM I find the things for $479 on TULSA Good luck ! OLDMECK

Attachments

• Torquegra2.JPG
    Torquegra2.JPG
    641.2 KB · Views: 710