Engine ideas

/ Engine ideas
I got to see two of the later model conversions that used Bruce's conversion parts at the Mow in,,, nicely done, if ya didnt know Gravely you wouldnt have known it was a conversion, well cept for the empty filler hole in the hood. I also got to hear one running, or should I say I had to listen to hear it running, man was that quiet compared to a Kohler with the pepper pot muffler. A pics for all the pic hounds,,,

Attachments

• gravely mowin 135.jpg
    gravely mowin 135.jpg
    1,007.7 KB · Views: 1,286
   / Engine ideas
I just cant resist posting these, man did they look beastly in person. None of em have engine conversions, all still running the Theads. The only one I remember the tire size for is the wide boy with the duals, axle extensions, and gear reduction, tires were 6x12s. Maybe the owner will see em and give us some details, I did get to talk with him a bit but my JD hat was distracting him,, ya if ya go to a Gravely event dont wear a JD hat,, unless ya got armor plate for skin, all good fun though.

Attachments

• gravely mowin 123.jpg
    gravely mowin 123.jpg
    1,003.2 KB · Views: 1,079
  • gravely mowin 124.jpg
    gravely mowin 124.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,389
   / Engine ideas #424  
I have a 9 horsepower Honda, a 9 horse power Robins & a 10 horse power K241 Kohler all are on 5000 series tranmissions & the 9 horse power tractors are light by about 50 lbs & have as much power & use 1/3rd of the amount of gas that the kohler uses, This I have proved several time to myself. I also have a 1974 model C8 repowered with a 15 horse power Lifan & it is a lot more powerful than anything else I own & it too is easy on gas.

/ Engine ideas #425  
I like the Robins better than any of the engines out there to repower with.

/ Engine ideas #426  
Well the supplier has sold out of all the cheap Robin 9 Hp Engines.
So anyone fine any cheap good engines let us know

/ Engine ideas #428  
The 12 hp machine would be easy to repower, everything to swap in a Briggs with a 1" shaft is available off the shelf, so I could go up to 23hp. Probably handle better with the Briggs, I don't think they weigh as much as the Kohler, but I have a cheap weight set up on the 30" mower to keep the nose down. I know I'm gonna need to do something with the Kohler soon, it's starting to consume a fair bit of oil, not a bug duster yet but gettin close.

If ou want more power, start out with one that had a Kohler and not one with the T head. The T head is expensive to rebuild but it will outlast any other engine by a long shot and they do have collector value. I bought a L recently that had a homebrew Briggs conversion and the first thing I did was took the Briggs and all the machined custom parts off and tossed them off the bridge. Gravely engines are now scarce and I doubt the lower ends and crankcases will be reproduced, although the upper end is all available new....at high prices. High as in more than Harley Davidson prices. A full new top end kit costs what you can buy a good Lycoming cylinder for!

/ Engine ideas #429  
Hi guys
Wanted to invite you all:thumbsup:

The HIWASSEE VALLEY ANTIQUE TRACTOR

meet the second week end of Oct .

So this year look like 9 and 10 Oct 2010.

www.hiwasseevallytractorclub.com

14TH ANNUAL HIWASSEE VALLEY ANTIQUE TRACTOR AND ENGINE SHOW |Tractor Show | Iron Memories Antique Tractor Shows, Tractors Rides, Threshing Shows, Old Farm Events

We meet at Charleston TN city Park

Charleston is about 70 Miles south of Knoxville Tenn

Exit 33 on I 75.

From Chattanooga Tn is about 30 miles

There is a trailer park at exit 33

The motels are about 5 to 10 miles at Exit 27 At I 75

Thanks Meet you there
Bruce g

Less do it again Oct 12 2013

/ Engine ideas #430  
Does it have a 1 inch crank?
I believe the old Gravely planetary will take more abuse then the 2 speed
or double gear will.
Because the small gears that work with them.
But you have to get the power to it

I bored a gear out to 1.1/8 to fit the large engines like the 24 Honda

Also make a bushing to take a 1 inch crank up to 1.1/8

with key 1/4 X 5/16 X 1.