Engine ideas

/ Engine ideas #451  
Hi all

I have GRAVELY LS need help

I wanna ask you, becouse I made repowering too, change the original Gravely engine for new Honda GX200. At original GRAVELY with original engine, there was transmission lubricated from engine. How can I lubricated transmission when I use new Honda GX200? Can you help me please?

Thanks you very much!

Martin

HI Martin
Sorry I just now read your reply,
This may help a little.

/ Engine ideas
Very nice write up Bruce.

/ Engine ideas #453  
Yes if you locate the "special" stuff (GL4) that works, wont eat the brass gear. Last I know from those into Gravelys said engine oil for the trans also.

Just use 50 or 60wt motor oil. It's as thick or thicker than 90wt gear oil, is readily avaliable and is yellow metal friendly.

/ Engine ideas
Just use 50 or 60wt motor oil. It's as thick or thicker than 90wt gear oil, is readily avaliable and is yellow metal friendly.

I believe that would work also. There were many viscosities recommended over the years and quite honestly as long as the oil is "yellow metal friendly" the quantity in the axle is more important than anything,,, nothing tears out planetaries (expensive) quicker than the lack of lubrication! Thicker oils may pose problems in very cold climates, the old L model transaxles were pressure lubed along with the engine and the change to Kohler engines left the transaxle with splash lube also.

/ Engine ideas #455  
I believe that would work also. There were many viscosities recommended over the years and quite honestly as long as the oil is "yellow metal friendly" the quantity in the axle is more important than anything,,, nothing tears out planetaries (expensive) quicker than the lack of lubrication! Thicker oils may pose problems in very cold climates, the old L model transaxles were pressure lubed along with the engine and the change to Kohler engines left the transaxle with splash lube also.

Thought I might add something to this. If you are converting an early type L ( from the 40s or 50s) , you may not be aware that that the advance casting (L202) has narrow apertures for oil to pass through to the clutch. Later versions of this part are relieved more generously. Gravely may just have been lowering material costs and it may be co-incidence that they gave up their own engine, with consequent loss of oil pump but it makes sense to me that they would improve circulation as a matter of course.

I don't worry about originality when building machines to be used on a regular basis. I use multi grade engine oil and with my own go-to machine (still on its original GX 340 nearly 20 years later) which lives outside under a plastic cover, I change the oil every 3 years or so to purge the condensate.

Forgot to mention, the two versions of L202 are interchangeable.

Last edited: