Engine ideas

/ Engine ideas #1  

js5020

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CX2510, Kubota BX23S, AC5020, JDx300R
Gravely guys, I have a 1950 model L down in the basement I'd like to get going by spring, but here's the problem,,,, a previous owner trashed the engine,,, totally trashed it!!! So has anyone converted to something modern?? Can it be done?? Ideas?

/ Engine ideas #2  
There's a Honda conversion on the Gravelytown site. I don't see why you couldn't find a Kohler or one of the other engines Gravely used and get the adapters from your gravely dealer or find one used. I would like to try a diesel if I was going to rebuild one. I'm not sure how much machine work would be involved?

Solo

/ Engine ideas
I have seen that Honda conversion and the Yanmar one also. I guy from NZ use to sell kits for the Honda but discontinued from my understanding. Now the Yanmar diesel was fabbed up by a guy in Sweden if I remember, looked sweet. Diesel would probably be the better performance option, as the torque curve would probably be a better match to the original engine. The engine to housing adapter could be done but the gear into the planetary would be the problem.

/ Engine ideas
Ok thought about this a little,,,, I have the shaft with the planetary gear,,,, here is the plan, gonna cut both ends off leaving just the gear, then bore the gear out and broach a keyway in it, put a counter bore in one side, make a sleeve for the crank and a pilot stub and bolt that to the crank. Then I think all that would be necessary is to slide it together and get the dimensions for the engine to trans adapter and make that up,, will it work??? Anyone have any thoughts? If it will work I could mate up almost any engine to an old L.

/ Engine ideas #5  
I adapt a diesel engine on Gravely L 1952. I use Gravely crankcase with a steel plate as adapter. All is running now. Easy and low cost. Jean-Marc as Oldmech

/ Engine ideas
Oldmech, what diesel did you use? How did you adapt the sun gear? Do you get alot of vibration from the engine?

/ Engine ideas #7  
I use original pinion shaft from Gravely crankshaft with flex coupling(taper machined).I use the Gravely crankcase between Diesel motor and transmission. Engine is a Dek-diesel F400 as Yanmar . For vibration Yes! a little bit on idle. But The original T Gravely engine vibrate a lot also. Honda engine is a good choice as GX390. I have somes pictures but I dont know how to do for send Sorry! Old mech.

/ Engine ideas
What hp is that engine? I like your idea using the of using the old crankcase half, makes me start to rethink my original plan. How about the ground speed at full throttle? Of course I'm assuming the engine your using has max rpm of 3600.

/ Engine ideas
Ok, I did some research on that engine, looks to be a 10 hp @ 3600 rpm.

/ Engine ideas
Another question on using the old case, how do you lubricate the bushing in the case, or don't you?