MF 3 Baler Needs Parts

/ MF 3 Baler Needs Parts #1  

tjscaprines

Tractor
DK-35
Does anyone know where I could find a pair of used/good condition MF3 baler threading needles?

My local dealer quoted me a rather stiff price so I thought I would look elsewhere before I had to sell my truck to fix my baler!!!

Thanks
:confused:

/ MF 3 Baler Needs Parts #2  
Are they roundish (continuously curved like JD) or kinked (like some NH). My point is whether you can adapt some other brand. If they broke from a slam because the plunger stop didn't engage, you can weld them. I've even seen some brazed. If they just got bent you can set them in a vise and "work" them (i.e. bend). Other than that, put in a items wanted for eBay or Craigslist / Farm+garden in your area. Remember that this old farm machinery was designed to be fixed by an ace of all trades 200 miles from nowheresville.

/ MF 3 Baler Needs Parts
No, these shattered. One of them into 4 pieces and the other into 5 pieces. We took the to the welder and they now have a new curve to them. When you align the tips at the top, the bottoms are rubbing the sides.

This old thing has always been easy to repair, but this time it needs replacements.

I tried ebay..no luck, I'll try the other one.

These are smooth curved, no kinks. I tried some new holland and the bolts won't line up and the curve is a little short...

/ MF 3 Baler Needs Parts #5  
Doesn't matter if the rub is 'friendly'. All that matters is that the needles bring up the twine from the spools and the twine gets into the twine disk notches. When the disks rotate, they grab the twine and the needles retract. That's it. Roll the knotting operation thru by hand without twine threaded and watch the action. The needles lift up thru each knotter frame and run by the billhooks. You can set the needle bolts while they are in this position because thats all that matters. Then run it thru a knotting operation under power at idle rpm. There will be some clacking as the tucker finger cam pulls the fingers over in preparation for a billhook twist. If the needles survive this test you are in business. Remember they were designed from mallable iron so they could be 'adjusted' in the field, literally. Whats really important is why they got hamered. Check the plunger stop. Sometime its floating action is bound up with old hay chaff or the springs are all rusted and shot. If the needle brake is not tight enough, they will bounce back into no-man's land and get clobbered. While you are watching in slow motion, check the twine cutter action to make sure the wiper arms scrape the billhooks. If they are worn, the completed knot won't come off the billhooks correctly and the knot can break or worse: be left on the hooks. The needles aren't sewing leather, just pulling the twine up thru the knotter frames. They don't punch thru anything.

/ MF 3 Baler Needs Parts #6  
I drug these out of the barn. I am pretty sure they are from our old Massey baler that has since left the farm.. due to jumping time and eating itself.

Attachments

• DSC07739.JPG
    DSC07739.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 414
  • DSC07737.JPG
    DSC07737.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 508
   / MF 3 Baler Needs Parts #7  
hey call me i have needles for #3 304-290-7177 im from around wvu college and can drive to clarksburgh