Tractor
    JD 2210

Default UNIVERSAL Tractor Canada

I'm trying to get more info on the Universal brand tractors which are manufactured in Romania. It is also known as Long in the USA I believe. Apart from the fact that they are cheap and look alot like the older Oliver/Fiat/White '70 series tractors, I don't know much about them. Can anybody comment on their reliablity and performance?

Thanks

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M-4900

Default Re: UNIVERSAL Tractor Canada

There are a lot of Longs down south, especially in the area I live because of a long time - very reliable dealer. I have seen Long tractors being used and abused for years and they keep on going. They are certainly nothing fancy but for the money are good reliable tractors.

TBone

Silver Member
    Tractor
    varies never keep one long enough to post here lol

Hey Foreman, my experience with Long tractors has been very good, my great uncle has a 250 Long (I think) bought it new in '76 first tractor he'd ever been on and its been tough, and the maintenance it got before I got big enough to do it was non-existent we have put several clutches in it but that comes from him being his age and set in his ways LOL. Just recently put a new water pump on and Americanized it a bit with a one-wire Delco alternator, if I were buying a tractor I'd definetaly look into Long.

Tractor
    JD 2210

Indeed that is good news, I get the same kind of comments on the universals from a fellow that e-mailed me. He said the most common problem was the electrical system that was shorting out (maybe due to prolonged exposure to snow). But the mechanics on them were "bulletproof" and easy to work with. He told me he had his first engine rebuilt @ 8600 hrs, which I think is excellent for a utility machine. Put me down for one too.

Tractor
    640 Universal DTC

does anyone know where to get a manual for a 640 Universal DTC my new toy