UNIVERSAL Tractor Canada

/ UNIVERSAL Tractor Canada #1  

foreman81

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2210
I'm trying to get more info on the Universal brand tractors which are manufactured in Romania. It is also known as Long in the USA I believe. Apart from the fact that they are cheap and look alot like the older Oliver/Fiat/White '70 series tractors, I don't know much about them. Can anybody comment on their reliablity and performance?

Thanks

/ UNIVERSAL Tractor Canada #2  
There are a lot of Longs down south, especially in the area I live because of a long time - very reliable dealer. I have seen Long tractors being used and abused for years and they keep on going. They are certainly nothing fancy but for the money are good reliable tractors.

TBone

/ UNIVERSAL Tractor Canada #3  
Hey Foreman, my experience with Long tractors has been very good, my great uncle has a 250 Long (I think) bought it new in '76 first tractor he'd ever been on and its been tough, and the maintenance it got before I got big enough to do it was non-existent we have put several clutches in it but that comes from him being his age and set in his ways LOL. Just recently put a new water pump on and Americanized it a bit with a one-wire Delco alternator, if I were buying a tractor I'd definetaly look into Long.

/ UNIVERSAL Tractor Canada
Indeed that is good news, I get the same kind of comments on the universals from a fellow that e-mailed me. He said the most common problem was the electrical system that was shorting out (maybe due to prolonged exposure to snow). But the mechanics on them were "bulletproof" and easy to work with. He told me he had his first engine rebuilt @ 8600 hrs, which I think is excellent for a utility machine. Put me down for one too.

/ UNIVERSAL Tractor Canada #5  
does anyone know where to get a manual for a 640 Universal DTC my new toy :)