What size and brand of tractor to buy?

/ What size and brand of tractor to buy? #1  

poorboy

Silver Member
Guys I hope someone can give me some input. My dad and I currently farm about 300 acres on the side. We roll about 1000 4x4 bales for our cows. It's time to up grade our 4000 ford. I have been considering looking at New hollands 5010. What else is out there around 50-60 hp. Also what kind of options are available now? It's a big decision to buy one that needs to last another 25 years? I sure would appreciate any input?

/ What size and brand of tractor to buy? #2  
The Kubota M Series in the smaller sizes include the M4900, M5700, and M6800 for 49 to 68 HP. I have the 2000 year M6800SD and it is a 62 HP PTO tractor with fully synchronized gearbox (8F/8R) and sync shuttle lever on dash. Really a nice tractor in a fairly compact size. I have the tires filled with water/antifreeze (non/toxic). The weight with loader is approximately 7500 pounds or 6000 pounds without the loader. Mine had better last 25 years, too.

/ What size and brand of tractor to buy? #5  
If it was me, I'd be looking at atleast the JD5410 or JD5510 tractors, 65 & 75 HP. They are essentially the same machine, both 4cycl, but the 5510 has a turbocharged engine which gives it the extra HP.

Every implmenent you could ever need is of course available no matter which brand you decide on.

Since you already have a Ford, and presumable have been happy with it, you'll no doubt look at the NH offerings, wen has also pointed out the Kubota choices, but before you make any decisions, ride the Deere 5410 or Deere 5510. I think you will be impressed, and no doubt they will last at least another 25 years, (and will also no doubt have a pretty high resale value compare dto other models.) Deere, depending on the dealer, can be a little more expensive, but in my mind they are still the best in this size tractor.

PS: They also have a 5210 and a 5310 which are in the same line, but a little smaller and lighter. (45 and 55 HP), 3 cycl engines. Still nice machines but for what you want I'd think you be happier with the bigger machines.

Don't bother looking at the JD 4000 series; too small for your needs I would think.

/ What size and brand of tractor to buy? #6  
poorboy,
I agree with ejb. I have a JD5210 that I use on 40 acres. With as much acreage as you have I would go with the 5410 or 5510 with 4wd. If money is not a problem go with the PowrReverser transmission. I know some people that cut and bale a lot of hay and they prefer the CollarShift. I have the CollarShift but I wish I had at least gotten the SyncShuttle. You may even want to go with the 6000 series. As others have suggested be sure to look at the Kubota and Hew Holland. No one hardly ever mentions the Massey Fergusons but they make a strong tractor too. I would at least look at them. Shop smart and do not buy in a hurry.

/ What size and brand of tractor to buy? #7  
I have the JD 6310. What a tractor. Lots of power. I round bale 4x5 bales for my beef herd. Works great. I looked at a 5510 before getting the 6310. A very nice tractor. Brother has a 5410 and has great luck with it.

/ What size and brand of tractor to buy? #8  
Have you check out Case line?/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Thomas..NH

/ What size and brand of tractor to buy? #9  
poorboy,

My suggestion to you is, Try'um All Out. Find the one that is, most comfortable and best fit's your needs.

The way I see it, Tractors are getting more like vehicles. They are all pretty well built, just have to find the one in, your size and with your prefered option's.

Good Luck

<font color=blue>Cowboy
BigBoyz Toyz

/ What size and brand of tractor to buy? #10  
2000-07-15
My 2 cents after a lot of shopping:
JD has name, is solid & reliable and a nice fit/finish. Weaker on high tech than some.

IMHO, the 5000 series is light for 300 acres. I would not go below the 6000.

NH is reliable (my 1720 went 12 years without repair), average fit, good finish; very high tech--supersteer and traction management are good examples. Very Euro.
Weakness are confusing options & manuals due to international sourcing (JD assembly of 5000's in GA seems to help), paint on EVERYTHING (even found some on belts in the engine!!), widely scattered dealers in my area.

Case has the best large tractor cab (on its CX series) you'll ever see, but I would be wary of resale, et al, without investigating and considering your local market. Their Perkins engines are impressive.

Would not touch Massey. Just look at how far behind they are in technology for one thing. No dealer network to speak of in Virginia.

Kubota I don't know and wouldn't critcz it on this list anyhow--I'd be mobbed. Their larger tractors are not well established compared to the others, but the experience of folks like Wen could help you.

I bought NH, an 80 hp low profile tractor, the TN90F.

When you go to buy a loader, look at Alo/Quicke if you want the latest in technology. They've got some fancy stuff.

Jim