Replacing a HYD. Hose

/ Replacing a HYD. Hose #1  

Cowboy

Bronze Member
Tractor
Agri-Power-7000,Case 580-SE, Case 480-LL, Ford Golden Jubilee/ Miller 8' Offset Plow,Woods 15' Brush Mower,Rhino 5' Brush Mower,Vasser Digger, Case BackHoe, Case Loader's, Roadmaster 6' Box Blade...
Trivia: If a HYD. hose fails, on any given piece of equipment and, you replace the hose with a new one.

Outside of removing the old and replacing the new...what else do you do? (or should you do)

The information I have recieved, may be "old hat" but, it's news to me.

I appreciate all response's.

Cowboy

/ Replacing a HYD. Hose #2  
I would pour some fluid in the hose, rinse it around and then throw the fluid out. Then be sure the connections don't leak. No one usually does this on tractors as the hydraulic filter picks up any junk in the hose from the sump.

Under oil and lubricants where the analysis of hydraulic fluid or engine oil was done. Look at the silicon and guess where that comes from (dirt). /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

/ Replacing a HYD. Hose #3  
<font color=red>"ALWAYS CLEAN!"</font color=red> The local parts house uses a abrasive wheel to cut the hose and silicon or WD40 to slip fitting onto hose. Then when it is crimped, you can get more burrs or pieces if done wrong. If hose is used for very critical system, pressure check. Don't use teflon sealing tape on flared fittings.
Then bleed air out if you don't have a loop circuit. The only closed system I've seen with a small (very small) hole for complete circulation was a cylinder that was used only for a short timed stroke and then released. The hole allowed flow during idle times for HEAT circulation. Did not like to run cold.

"What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

/ Replacing a HYD. Hose #4  
I have heard this comment before about not using the teflon tape but never understood why or when not to use it. Can you elaborate on this?

Will a "tapered" thread fitting look visibly tapered or is something that has to be measured with a micrometer or caliper to see that it is or isn't tapered?

I just had the shop plumbed for air and was handed a roll of that tape when I bought the hose fittings that I have not installed yet.

And owning a tractor, I've managed to have some hose fun in the past!

Sign me hydraulically ignorant!/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

del
[email]oldcarparts@mygarage.com [/email]

/ Replacing a HYD. Hose #5  
I've heard the same about not using Teflon tape. I know a type of pipe dope is sold for hydraulic fittings. Without knowing for sure, I have the sense that there's a risk of the tape being wrapped below the threads. The tape could then break off inside the hose.

/ Replacing a HYD. Hose #6  
Teflon tape or pipe dope is not needed on a flare fitting. The flat tapered end of the fitting is its sealing point not the threads. On a pipe thread its tapered and uses the threads as its sealing point as it has no flat end just threads.

One key reason not to use teflon on a hydraulic system is if you over wrap and a piece breaks off and gets lodged in a valve body you've created more problems. With pipe dope if you get a glob in the line (which still is not good) and it gets lodged in the valve body it will break down when the valve is moved. Another problem with teflon is if you have flow limiters a piece of stray teflon can do a nice job of clogging up that orfice.

I'll say this if you see a flare fitting with teflon on it someone has had a problem sealing it properly in the past all it takes is a small nick to give problems.
Gordon

/ Replacing a HYD. Hose #7  
gorden, you have been around some of the same people I have. I'll add that if you have a pipe with straight thread, it's electrical conduit. Do use the teflon tape on tapered plumbing pipe.
One other point for not using the tape with flaired fittngs. It's to easy to over tork the threads and split the fitting. Then you end up trying to fix it with more tape and so on.
Most of the return to tank filters I've worked with were 5 to 10 microns. A couple had 3 micron filters. Dirt of anykind can plug this fast. If your fortunate enough to have it hit the filter first. You should see what the pump gears or vanes look like after they have eaten anything, including air bubbles. (implosive holes)

I would clean my hose as if I had a prom date @ 18! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif And in todays world with all these neat tools available, wrap it for protection if it's tapered. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

"What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Hawgee on 7/15/00 10:18 AM.</FONT></P>

/ Replacing a HYD. Hose
Wen,

I have changed 20-30 hoses in my time and, as you said, poured a little fluid in the hose to rinse it out. This new method, that I will be recieving data on in a few days reads something like this, failure to use a mixture of mineral spirits and, a clean diesel fuel to, throughly rinse the interior of, all hydraulic hose's with, when being replaced. Can result in serious damage to the hydraulic motor (pump) and....(who'd of thought it) Void It's Warranties.

I was told diesel alone, would be okay to use but, a 50-50 mixture of the mineral spirits and diesel, was the best combo. and to rinse out the inside of the hose, real good (2 or 3 times) with the mixture. Apparently, replacing a hose on a total hydraulic operated, HST drive machine, is critical to the life of the transmission.

My 1999 piggy back fork lift is, all HYD. operated and, has a hole rubbed in a HYD. hose. This is how I, discovered this new method of (pre) hose replacement. It has two, 10 micron hydraulic filters on it as well.

I haven taken heed to this (new to me) method. These P.B. lifts are, far to expensive for this country boy, not to. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I thought this information might, be of help with the equipment you gent's own.
Thanks, to each of you, for your response to this post. As well as any other's that may respond.

Cowboy
BigBoyz Toyz

/ Replacing a HYD. Hose #9  
Hope everything going fine down in Texas for you folks./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

When I replace a hyd hose with a new hose,all I do clean both ends of the connection than tighten in place.
Then I use the hyd system after 30 seconds or so I shut the tractor off and check the hyd fluid,than add if needed also recheck the connections.

Take care a stay/w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Thomas..NH

/ Replacing a HYD. Hose #10  
This rinsing business has me a tad confused. Are you saying that new hoses would be too contaminated to use just as they are?

del