MF 224 Square Baler

/ MF 224 Square Baler #1  

jwcinpk

Veteran Member
Tractor
2009 Mahindra 3316 HST-2008 Mahindra 7010 cab - 2004 Mahindra 6000 4X4
Guys i happened on a used MF 224 sitting in a neighbors barn with 2 flat tires that is for sale. He says it's not tying. What are the most likely culprits? I thought if i could get this thing cheap I'd take it. I looked at it and everything looks new. Even the paint on the pickup hasn't worn off. basically the guy got old and after baling about 3000 bales through it and bought a round roller. Hasn't been out of the barn in probably 7 or 8 years. Even has a wagon hitch like I wanted.
I'd like to have a new IH (New Holland) but if I can get this thing cheap enough I'll try it.
Also has a New Holland 258 rolla bar rake for $1500.

/ MF 224 Square Baler #2  
Assuming its a sisal or plastic twine: If all the knotter parts are all there and intact, it's only adjustments that are needed to get it to tie. We/I can walk you thru the tying sequences.

Most common tie problems are worn parts (Not likely in your case). Even the worn jobs can easily be brought into sequence, though. All you might need to buy is a fish scale for measuring twine clamping friction force at several stations (at the twine box and each knotter frame's twine disks). If nothing else, go get it, fix it and keep the change. You can buy an original used operator's manual on eBay. It will have diagnostics in the back section.

Thats a good price on a 258 rake. Get all parts (teeth) at TSC.

/ MF 224 Square Baler #3  
I think that if you are going to be doing some hay the baler is by far the most important machine and the one worth spending the most money on if you can.

You can repair and adjust balers but a baler that has not be well cared for or spent anytime outside will just not make nice bales.

But if the one is in good condition I would go for it. Just make sure you give it a really good service before you want to use it.

There is nothing worse than a field of hay to ready to bale, the weather about to break and a broken down baler :mad:

But I am a fine one to talk with our MF 10 baler, that continues to solidier on at the pace of about 1.5 MPH. But she hardly miss one bale last year out of about 1200 :D :D

/ MF 224 Square Baler #4  
You might look over on ytmag at 'Implement Alley' for infos on that bailer. Ive found it to be a good resource as you can get a better overall idea of what inherent probs/reputation the baler is.

/ MF 224 Square Baler #5  
jwcinpk said:
Guys i happened on a used MF 224 sitting in a neighbors barn with 2 flat tires that is for sale. He says it's not tying. What are the most likely culprits? I thought if i could get this thing cheap I'd take it. I looked at it and everything looks new. Even the paint on the pickup hasn't worn off. basically the guy got old and after baling about 3000 bales through it and bought a round roller. Hasn't been out of the barn in probably 7 or 8 years. Even has a wagon hitch like I wanted.
I'd like to have a new IH (New Holland) but if I can get this thing cheap enough I'll try it.
A MF224 is a great baler. We could sell hundreds of them at the right price. You just need someone that knows the MF224 balers to go over the baler and make sure it is adjusted correctly. That bale in good condition should bring at least $3,000 any where.

/ MF 224 Square Baler
Well when I went back to get the baler he had already sold it. I looked it over really good in better light too. The bonnet that covers the knotters had been folded back flat on top, still bent up. The pickup had the corner where the wheel would go bent bad. Also noticed the 2 tires are shot. dry rotted clean through. I priced tires $189 each. $3000 for the baler and then the tires. If I counted my time I'd have $4000 in it before I could bale. That's if I didn't have to get any knotter parts and pay someone to work on the knotter.
So i geuss my search continues.
I want to just buy a new IH but $15000 is a lot of money.

I told him I'd take the rake!

/ MF 224 Square Baler #7  
I have a 224 Massey Ferguson baler that is constantly tying and making small bales. I adjusted the bale length and it is still doing it.

/ MF 224 Square Baler #8  
Well when I went back to get the baler he had already sold it. I looked it over really good in better light too. The bonnet that covers the knotters had been folded back flat on top, still bent up. The pickup had the corner where the wheel would go bent bad. Also noticed the 2 tires are shot. dry rotted clean through. I priced tires $189 each. $3000 for the baler and then the tires. If I counted my time I'd have $4000 in it before I could bale. That's if I didn't have to get any knotter parts and pay someone to work on the knotter.
So i geuss my search continues.
I want to just buy a new IH but $15000 is a lot of money.

I told him I'd take the rake!

I bought an MF124 baler (two-twine, small squares) several years ago for $2000. It has the MF SureTie knotters--a very simple design that's easy to work on.

Don't know anything about your 224, but my guess is that the pickup, packer, plunger, knotter designs are similar to the 124. Here are a few photos of the 124 to help you.

MF124 baler hay bale.JPGMF124 baler knotters.JPGMF124 baler pickup.JPGMF124 baler twine.JPG

/ MF 224 Square Baler #9  

How do you set the timing sequence for a MF 224 baler I cant seem to find the information anywhere, I would be grateful for any information, thanks.