oil for Farmall A

/ oil for Farmall A #1  

RobertN

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
I'm picking up the oil filter for my "new" Farmall A. What oil should I use? I haev a manual on order, but hasn't come in yet... Oh' it only has a couple hours since rebuild...

For my B8200 Kubota, I use Delo-400 multi weight. Will this work in the Farmall?

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ oil for Farmall A #2  
You could use any gas engine oil with little or no trouble but I would stick with a straight weight 30. I know that there was not a multi-grade oil when the tractor was built. You could use a multi-weight oil if you are not using the tractor under hard conditions.

/ oil for Farmall A #3  
Robert, we wore out more than one Farmall 140 over the years, which is the same tractor (just bigger). We always put straight 30W in it. Any thing that I use straight 30W in, I use Pennzoil or Valvoline. I have had good luck with both in gas powered equipment.
JerryG

/ oil for Farmall A #4  
I have a Farmall 140 and have used Rotella 15W- 30 in it for many years with no problem.

/ oil for Farmall A #5  
Robert, if that tractor were burning oil, I'd agree with the other guys about the straight SAE 30W oil, but if it's just been rebuilt and in good condition, if it were mine, I'd sure put the Delo 400 in it (which is what I use in my Kubota). I have a neighbor who has a Super H and two Super M's (one on LPG) and he uses the same Rotella 15W-40 that he uses in his diesel International and Oliver.

Bird

/ oil for Farmall A #6  
Bird what you are talking about is a big no-no. There are two things that differ between gas and diesel engine oils. Gas oils don't need ash or the bright metals that the Diesels do. The ash will build up on valves and cause them to burn. The diesel uses them to help control the damage from the partially burnt fuel of a cold diesel engine. You might not be using the tractors enough to cause the problem to surface quickly but you will!!!

/ oil for Farmall A #7  
Art,
This is what I like the most about this place. The longer that I have been here, the more things I learn. I always knew that there was some oil that was to be used only in diesels, but I didn’t know what was different about the formulation. Now I do.
JerryG

/ oil for Farmall A #8  
Art, My kubota manual calls for 10w30 w/a cc/cd classification. Of course, there is no such animal now. The previous owner told me he had been using Valvoline 10W30, changing about twice a year. The tractor is about 14 years old and has 1000 hrs on it. I removed the valve cover to check valve lash, and you won't believe how clean it was. Since there is no 10W30 diesel oil (that I can find) is the Valvoline likely to be causing any hidden damage to bearings, etc? Is there an oil I should be using? Thanks for inserting your knowledge here. I,too, am amazed at the knowledge of the board participants.

/ oil for Farmall A #9  
Art, you may be right; I sure don't claim to an expert on oils, but the Delo 400 has the SJ rating as well as the CH-4 rating, and it says on the container, "exceeds warranty requirements for all gasoline, diesel, and turbo charged engines" etc. And of course you can get it in a straight 30W although I use the 15W-40 in my tractor. I'm still using Quaker State 10W-40 in my gasoline engines. You know in the early 80s (and I don't know for how long), the Quaker State oil had the CC/CD rating, but dropped their diesel ratings some time ago (I don't know when). I called Quaker State's technical support folks and was told it was just fine to use in a diesel engine, but because of the ash, it should be changed more frequently. Of course, I'm not doing it; I prefer staying with the manufacturer's recommendations, but sometimes manuals get out of date, since Kubota manuals still call for the CC/CD rating and I don't know how you could find such now.

Bird

/ oil for Farmall A
Interesting...

I would have assumed to use a diesel oil would be ok, becuase of the extra additives they put in for higher heat and pressures.

I know recent articles in motorcycle magazines have pushed me to either Harley or RevTech oil in my bike. The newer car/water cooled engines don't need the additives they used to have. Those additives are harsh on Cat convertors too. Those additives were important in air cooled engines though, which tend to run hotter.

I have heard grumblings that a deisel oil is better to use in a air cooled engine if factory oils are not available, since they have the additives for the hotter running engines.

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif