Converting baler from wire to twine

/ Converting baler from wire to twine #1  

flusher

Tractor
Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.
I've been on the lookout for a 14T square baler or equivalent and have run cross a couple of suitable balers that are set up for wire.

Is it possible to use twine instead of wire in such a baler without modification? Are modifications possible to make this changeover?

My understanding is the for these small square bales customers generally prefer twine rather than wire. Hence my question.

/ Converting baler from wire to twine #2  
In my view the cost and effort to change the twister to a knotter would be quite high. Maybe the answer is to locate two broken machines and marry them togther, keeping the twine based machine operational. Plunger, gearbox, driveline, auger, feeder, bale chamber, chassis would all be the same.

These things (if you can find them) are worth slightly more than junk metal, so its the value of your time, effort and patience to get a working baler. Once she gets going, though, the are pretty hard to kill if you have any sort of reasonable mechanical knowhow. Wear plates, chains and springs are the only parts to be watched and changed if necessary.

/ Converting baler from wire to twine #3  
I would keep looking for a twine tie baler or if no other options buy the wire tie and use it till you find a good deal on the twine unit. Then keep them both in case your main baler breaks down, you have the backup ready to go in the barn.

/ Converting baler from wire to twine
zzvyb6 said:
In my view the cost and effort to change the twister to a knotter would be quite high. Maybe the answer is to locate two broken machines and marry them togther, keeping the twine based machine operational. Plunger, gearbox, driveline, auger, feeder, bale chamber, chassis would all be the same.

These things (if you can find them) are worth slightly more than junk metal, so its the value of your time, effort and patience to get a working baler. Once she gets going, though, the are pretty hard to kill if you have any sort of reasonable mechanical knowhow. Wear plates, chains and springs are the only parts to be watched and changed if necessary.

ZZ: thanks for the advice. I'll keep my eyes open.

/ Converting baler from wire to twine
Robert_in_NY said:
I would keep looking for a twine tie baler or if no other options buy the wire tie and use it till you find a good deal on the twine unit. Then keep them both in case your main baler breaks down, you have the backup ready to go in the barn.

RiNY: thanks. That makes good sense.

/ Converting baler from wire to twine #6  
flusher said:
RiNY: thanks. That makes good sense.

Yeah, every now and then I say something that could be considered smart. :)

/ Converting baler from wire to twine #7  
If you find a "WORKING" wire tie baler. Keep it on wire.
You can get wire, it cost a bit more but they pack well and stay together. I would try to move into the 80s if possible. A working 80s model twine baler maby in the 1000 range any brand any color.