sickle bar mower

/ sickle bar mower #1  

CaptainQ

I want to buy a older used sickle bar mower to cut about 4 acres of bermuda hay. What do i look for as far as worn items, how do i tell if the bar and associated parts are worn, keep in mind that I know nothing about them. I can look for worn bearings and thing like that but i know nothing about the bar and working parts. Also do you have any advice on certain brands and models to get and about how much I need to pay I am in west tennessee.Any tips on operating and setting would also be appreciated.

Thanks

/ sickle bar mower #2  
The most important to me would be finding a used one that is still new enough to be a belt drive. The alternative is a wooden pitman which is used as the breaking or stress point for the cutter bar. I'd take a belt slipping any day!

/ sickle bar mower #3  
CaptainQ said:
I want to buy a older used sickle bar mower to cut about 4 acres of bermuda hay. What do i look for as far as worn items, how do i tell if the bar and associated parts are worn, keep in mind that I know nothing about them. I can look for worn bearings and thing like that but i know nothing about the bar and working parts. Also do you have any advice on certain brands and models to get and about how much I need to pay I am in west tennessee.Any tips on operating and setting would also be appreciated.

Thanks

As Art mentioned, belt drive is preferable. Pitman drives are a bit delicate and tempremental. In general, most pitman drive sickle bars don't want to operate at anything other than parallel with the ground. Some will do otherwise, but most are usually being abused if you do. MOST belt drives will operate at a few degrees below parallel, and quite a bit above parallel with the ground. That's valuable when trimming pond banks, ditches, ect.

The first thing to look at, and the most common routine maintenance item will be the sections. That's the individual "tri-angle" knife blades. They wear out. Once upon a time, people sharpened them. Nowdays it's simpler to replace them. If you get to that point, post back again and I'll be glad to walk you through the process of changing them. It gets easier with practice, but isn't all that difficult to begin with.

Next, check the "gaurds". That's the "teeth" that stick out from the cutter bar. They can get bent (up or down) and cause havoc. An integral part of the gaurd is the LEDGER PLATE. These used to be replaced as needed, but have over time became more or less permanent parts of the gaurd. They are the serrated edge that the work in conjunction with to cut your hay. The section needs to run very close, but not in tight contact with the ledger .

You'll also find HOLD DOWN CLIPS that bolt to the cutter bar to hold the section bar in adjustment relative to the ledger plates. The hold down clips wear, albiet not nearly as fast as the sections or ledger plates.

Some sickle bar mowers need to be "indexed" or "registered". That's where the sections are at the right spot at certain points in the cutting stroke.

Sickle bars are one of many machines that almost demend you own the manuals that apply. Steps to correctly tune one are in the manuals.

Confused yet?

Best advice is to get (A) a common mower that more folks are familiar with. That improves your chances of getting help with fine tuning it. (B) get owners manual, a service manual if one is available for the model mower you choose, and even a parts manual. They're every bit as handy as the other 2 manuals. Among other things, they always show an exploded view which is handy dis-assembling and re-assembling anything. (C) if you aren't familiar with a sickle bar, I'd highly recommend finding a complete, funtional mower that needs little in the way of repair. Basket cases will make a beginner pull hair out in clumps.

Models I'd suggest. (1) New Holland model 451. Simple, common, very easy set-up, parts common as dirt. (2) John Deere model 350 A little more complicated than a 451NH, but an extremely good mower. Not many ways to beat Deere's parts availability. (3) Massey Ferguson #41 Dyna Balance. Built for MF by Vermeer. Parts can be a little "iffy", but a very smooth running mower that's extremely easy to hitch and unhitch from the tractor. (4)515 Ford A pitmanless version of the classic 501.

Sickle bar mowers require very little hp. A 20 hp tractor can handle a 7' to 9' mower so long as it has enough "heft" to handle the weight hanging off to the side.

Care and maintenance can make a sickle bar go on and on. I've been using the same New Holland 451 for 32 years. It's cut a BUNCH of hay!

Last edited:
   / sickle bar mower #4  
What I wouldn't give to find a nice used sickle bar mower...specifically a New Holland belt drive. I'd give my left...ah, you know..one of those "down there" for a decent used New Holland at a reasonable price. Been looking for 3 years now and can't seem to find a good deal.

Answer to my request, anyone?

/ sickle bar mower #5  
Expect to pay about $600 for a decent working 7' model. I bought mine in western NC a year ago. There is a big dealer up in Tenn that has many for sale in the $600-800 range and advertises them on the internet.

Make sure it will fit your tractor!!! John Deere produced models that came in two versions; wide and narrow. A 39 sickle mower is the regular type. a 39N is the narrow one. Even with the narrow version and an i-match setting it farther back by 3", mine still sat too close to the R4 tires and rubbed them a little. I have a JD 790. I had to make special brackets to mount it father back an additional 4". R4's are wider than R1's which were the original tires installed on tractors years ago when these mowers were made.

Beware of the blade. Make sure an experienced person shows you how to lift the bar and blade properly. If you have a finger in the wrong place as you lift, the blade will cut it off instantly. This is with the tractor off and the PTO not running. The blade will slide down as you lift the bar up to it's travel position. If you finger is between the rock guard tine and the triangle blades, it will be history in less than 2 seconds.

Owners and parts manuals for all the old mowers are available on the web. Buy one. Blades are dirt cheap at TSC Something like $7 for 10 blades. Used motor oil makes a good and free bar lube. They are very quiet and use way under 20HP to run. Belt drive is good. Pitmans are about $12 but you can make them yourself out of a piece of wood. Raise a pitman type mower much above 25 degrees from horizontal while cutting and you will become familiar with the snapping noise a pitman makes. I have heard it more than once.

/ sickle bar mower #6  
CaptainQ said:

Thanks

I spent over a year looking for a used sicklebar mower. I was zeroed in on 3pt hitch versions with 7-ft cutting bars. Ford 501s are fairly common on eBay and generally go for $500-800.

About a month ago that changed. I saw an ad in one of the local weekly classifieds for a 6-ft sicklebar. Here's what I found

DSCF0068Small.jpg

It's a 1950s vintage Allis-Chalmers 80T pull-type mower (aka "trail mower"). Cost: $150. I'll pull it with my 1964 MF-135 diesel (45 hp engine, 38 hp pto, 33 hp on the drawbar).

The photos give you an idea what a working vintage mower in good condition looks like.

DSCF0060Small.jpg

It was used last in 2005 for cutting a hay crop. It's been stored outside since then. No rust problems to speak of since the humidity here in the North Valley is very low and we get only 10-20 inches of rainfall annually.

DSCF0065Small.jpg

I can turn the pto shaft by hand and see the sickebar operate, so it's not jammed.

I spent $15 at manuals.us for the manual so I don't overlook any lube points.

The blades look pretty good to me, but I'll find out next April when I have some 3-ft weeds to cut on my place. Cutting a few acres will rub off that surface rust.

Changing blades is a pretty easy job according to my neighbor how has been doing this for a lot of years.

I plan to put in about 7 acres of hay next September so this 6-ft mower should be more than adequate to get the crop cut in a day.

/ sickle bar mower #7  
Flusher, sure seems like you'd want to drill the cutter bar for a hook for that chain. Can't think it would be good for the section where it's wrapped. That's probably on your list, that we all keep. Looks like a good stout mower.
Jim

/ sickle bar mower #8  
Congrats on buying the 80T mower, they are a good machine, when maintained properly. The sicklebar probably IS drilled for a eyebolt, right about where that chain is, there should be a 5/8" (I think) hole, originally there would have been a bar with a hook on one end, and an eye with an eyebolt that would go through the hole in the bar. The main thing to check on this mower is the twin wheel drive pitman arm bearings, and the sickle bar clamp and bushing located between those two bearings. The bushing needs to be tight enough so that it doesn't knock, and egg out the hole in the arm. Bearings need to be tight and lubed.:cool:

/ sickle bar mower #9  
Chuck Lind: If you are interested PM me and we can work something out, I used it to mow about 18 acres last summer and it still works well.

Attachments

• mower.jpg
    mower.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 23,605
  • mower 2.jpg
    mower 2.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 5,879
   / sickle bar mower #10  
I recently purchased a twin wheel drive sickle bar. the only numbers I can find on it is 805064 and it came on my 54 Allis Chalmers WD-45 with a clip hitch. Does this make it a model 80? Any help to determine what model I have would be appreciated.