Skeleton Hay Elevator

/ Skeleton Hay Elevator #1  

pengs68

Bronze Member
Tractor
FARMALL M, FORD 4600, FORD 2000
I am looking for a 16' skeleton hay elevator. What brands are good? Tractor supply has a Hayrite that I may go look at this weekend but am I not familiar with that brand. Thanks.

/ Skeleton Hay Elevator #2  
I don't know much about brands of elevators now but they are really fairly simple things. I do not think the TSC one would be a bad if you bought it. The worst thing I see is people unloading wagons slamming the bales onto the elevator beating the rails up in the process. I get upset when my helpers do this as I line the wagons up so that you don't have to throw the bales onto the elevator.

The elevator I use is at least 35 years old and works great still. Just keep the motor covered up if you have to leave it outside overnight but when you are done put the elevator back inside. Keep it greased and oiled and don't worry.

/ Skeleton Hay Elevator
The Elevator at Tractor Supply was a two piece kind of flimsy looking to me. Going to keep looking. Our NH dealer has one for $350 more but they were not open today to check it out. We have a grain/hay elevator on wheels that works great for filling the mows. This year we switched to a new hay dealer and he doesnt have any side doors on his trailers so we have to load through the back doors. So a Skeleton will make it a lot easier.

/ Skeleton Hay Elevator #4  
If you're not in a hurry, try checking out farm auctions. I got a nice, though very old 20 foot skeleton elevator for $300 at an auction. It needed a new motor, but I got one at TSC pretty cheap, and the whole thing cost me under $400. it works great, and I give it a lot of use, as I put up over 1000 bales in my hay mows.