Sitrex wheel rake-trying to decide

/ Sitrex wheel rake-trying to decide #1  

flusher

Tractor
Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.
I'm looking at a 4-wheel Sitrex rake (model RP-4) for use with my MF-135 diesel (45 hp engine, 38 hp pto)

Welcome Ford Distributing

RP4-back-web.gif

This rake is crop driven (no pto shaft, no drive from ground wheels).
How good are these crop-driven wheel rakes for general haying?

I plan to grow an orchardgrass/ryegrass mix on 7 acres of flat pastureland.

Any concerns about contamination of the windrow with this type of rake?

From what I can decipher, this Sitrex rake does windrows and also can be configured to turn the windrow to speed up drying.

RP4x2-web.gif

How effective is this type of rake for this type of work?

/ Sitrex wheel rake-trying to decide #2  
I've never used the Sitrex brand but have used the some other brands that are basically the same. Always in a dolly mount though and not the 3 pt version. The wheel rakes work well if the hay is not extremely heavy and I have raked some pretty heavy hay with them. As far as contamination I have never seen any more dirt or trash in the hay than when we used the old NH side delivery rakes. The key to longevity of the tines and good raking is ground pressure. You want them to ride where the tines just flex and roll across the ground. If they are bending clear down or leaving grooves in the dirt there is way too much ground pressure. I have seen them used that way and that is usually the people I have heard complain about that style rake.
I really like the dolly mount for what I do, but the style you have pictured should do the same job just not as quickly.
Wheel rakes also don't corner as well, so we generally just go around the field twice and then rake the rest into rows.

/ Sitrex wheel rake-trying to decide #3  
Four_wheel_rake.jpg

/ Sitrex wheel rake-trying to decide #4  
A mechanic I know with many years of experience tells me that the 3pt rakes tend to break teeth when you hit low spots in the field. He strongly recommends getting what I think is being referred to as a dolly mount.

CCI can you provide any knowledge about 3pt on uneven ground. I respect your knowledge and honesty a great deal.

/ Sitrex wheel rake-trying to decide #5  
Mark, that rake looks like it pivots so you can rake from either the left or right of the tractor. Is it as simple as changing the angle on a rear blade or do you need to adjust the wheels also?

Also, do you have any 3pt v-rakes or is it easier to bo with a trailer based model?

On average, how much more is the trailer versions compared to the 3pt?

/ Sitrex wheel rake-trying to decide #6  
I didn't word my post above correctly. The first wheel rake we had was an 8 wheel 3 pt model.(2 of what is pictured on a frame) That style, with the frame, ride heavy on the tractor:( and have been replaced by the dolly models. The tines on the rakes are set up to roll in a forward direction. I don't believe it would rake correctly if turned the other way.

/ Sitrex wheel rake-trying to decide #7  
flusher said:
I'm looking at a 4-wheel Sitrex rake (model RP-4) for use with my MF-135 diesel (45 hp engine, 38 hp pto)

Welcome Ford Distributing

RP4-back-web.gif

This rake is crop driven (no pto shaft, no drive from ground wheels).
How good are these crop-driven wheel rakes for general haying?

I plan to grow an orchardgrass/ryegrass mix on 7 acres of flat pastureland.

Any concerns about contamination of the windrow with this type of rake?

From what I can decipher, this Sitrex rake does windrows and also can be configured to turn the windrow to speed up drying.

RP4x2-web.gif

How effective is this type of rake for this type of work?

RUN don't walk away from the one way wheel rakes. Do yourself a favor and find a used New Holland rollabar rake.
I have a one way wheel rake and I absolutely hate it! So much so I would pay someone else to rake with it. They are a real pain to turn with. Going straight they are good, but man when you have to go around a corner you have a mess.

/ Sitrex wheel rake-trying to decide
jwcinpk said:
RUN don't walk away from the one way wheel rakes. Do yourself a favor and find a used New Holland rollabar rake.
I have a one way wheel rake and I absolutely hate it! So much so I would pay someone else to rake with it. They are a real pain to turn with. Going straight they are good, but man when you have to go around a corner you have a mess.

So trying to get a wheel rake to work right while turning the tractor is a big problem. By mess I guess you mean that the windrow is not acceptable.

/ Sitrex wheel rake-trying to decide #9  
You're looking to square bale. What happens is when you need to make a turn with the wheel rake a lot of times you end up with a big pile instead of a windrow. Square balers just love those big piles.

/ Sitrex wheel rake-trying to decide #10  
Too bad you're so far away. I'd sell you a IH 46 baler and a 4 wheel rake at scrap prices!