In-line small square balers

/ In-line small square balers #11  
jimg said:
Well, it never dawned on me either until I started looking for a sq baler out of my 'tow it home' area. Mine (NH326) is coming from E NC and even w/ the oversize permit will need a wheel removed for transport. How much an oversize permit costs I dont know but I have the impression its not inexpensive.

Yeah, that sucks. Money and availability is obviously going to be the deciding factor for me . . . keeping in mind I am still 18 - 24months off from purchasing, but I would like find a MF1835 for my baler. There is only one listed on tractorhouse and it is a 9k for a 2006 model.

/ In-line small square balers #12  
Mark
Youd have a bigger selection if you also looked at the Hesston 4500 and 4600 series + the Case 8500 series. It seems like there might be another brand that has inlines but I cant recall it right off. Bottom line is all are really Hesston design and mfg.

I almost bought a Hesston 4570 locally which was an outstanding find for $5500. In fact just finding one locally was noteworthy in itself. The knotters needed to be rebuilt and I asked to see the machine run so the salesman put in the shop ticket to have the work done. When I called back at the appted time to see it run he told me another salesman already sold it. :( Oh well...

ETA: The 9K price seems pretty reasonable considering what these cost new.

/ In-line small square balers #13  
jimg said:
Mark
Youd have a bigger selection if you also looked at the Hesston 4500 and 4600 series + the Case 8500 series. It seems like there might be another brand that has inlines but I cant recall it right off. Bottom line is all are really Hesston design and mfg.

I almost bought a Hesston 4570 locally which was an outstanding find for $5500. In fact just finding one locally was noteworthy in itself. The knotters needed to be rebuilt and I asked to see the machine run so the salesman put in the shop ticket to have the work done. When I called back at the appted time to see it run he told me another salesman already sold it. :( Oh well...

ETA: The 9K price seems pretty reasonable considering what these cost new.

That is a good call Jim, in fact I looked on Tractorhouse last night at the Hesstons and there were a lot more to choose from than the MF's. I don't know a lot about them in terms of model numbers and what the horsepower ratings are so I didn't spend alot of time browsing. There were lots of late 199X models that looked to be in great shape. I'd be willing to snatch one of those up. I guess my best bet is to start researching those, its just so easy with the current models being that the PDF's are readily available on the manufact. sites. Do the MF dealerships service/stock parts for the older Hesston balers? I need to find the Hesston model that is the equivalent to the MF1835/1837/1839 as those are all rated at 35pto hp and relatively smaller bale size.

/ In-line small square balers #14  
Since you have time Id look in the winter when most come on the market. This past winter there were several in MD, PA, OH and IN.

ETA: There are PLENTY in the area where the original poster lives. :)

/ In-line small square balers #15  
Ditto on the shopping in the winter. The best time to hay equipemnt is after the season is over. Dealers will have a flurry of business just before Jan 1 for the guys who need a tax deduction. That leaves trade ins and left over new equipment sitting on the lot. Some dealers will really make deals to move this inventory instead of sitting on it until May or so. Hay equipment here usually brings less in fall and winter auctions that in spring or summer auctions also.

I have never run a square baler myself, but as far as running over the windrow that is generally not a problem with a round baler. I don't see that it would be much different. I did have a hitch on one baler that I kept a flap of old belting bolted to the tractor drawbar on because the hitch had a wide opening and was prone to picking up hay in tall windrows. That was about a $2 fix for a annoying problem.

Agco credit had an inline close to me over the winter that was a repo. It sure didn't stay listed very long. Somebody may have gotten a deal on it.:D

/ In-line small square balers
jimg said:
ETA: There are PLENTY in the area where the original poster lives. :)

By zip code, its showing that the closest baler is 136 miles from me. By now, I'm used to the idea of having to travel to get something.

A backup camera and monitor would solve the issue of not being to see the bales coming out the back.

With the slice forming chamber (I'm sure that is not what its called) would it eliminate banana bales? Sometimes we get bales that need to be carried gently or they bust out from the center.:mad: If we packed our bales tighter, would they be less likely to curve?

/ In-line small square balers #17  
Well, theres a LOT more land area in your neck of the woods too. :) I lived briefly in WA and nothing was a short ride. To me though 134mi doesnt seem far. :)

Right the prepacker is supposed to facilitate better bale consistency. The way I understand it the prepacker acts as a buffer of sorts which the packer draws from. As long as the operator is paying attention the packer can always draw a charge of generally the same amt each time. Since the hay is moving in a straight line and assuming a roughly even windrow each charge should be identical making nice neat bales. Im not sure what part windrow shape plays but it seems to me it might be significant.

/ In-line small square balers
From what I was able to find, Hesston made small inline balers for CaseIH. There models 8520, 8530, 8545 and 8555. I was searching (gooogling:rolleyes: ) for someone who had some experience with the small balers and I posted below what one guy had to say.

Dan

"I know a farmer nearby who has a Hesston machine. It has a phenomenally high plunger speed, something near 110 strokes per minute, which is apparently how it makes such a consistent bale size and density. Strange thing is, the cut side of the bale is under the strings, not on the side like on other balers. I think the knife needs to be mounted differently because of the straight-through arrangement. He puts 5000 bales a year through it, and has had few complaints about it. You do, however, need a tractor with some underclearance if you're working in straw in combine windrows or in extremely heavy hay."

/ In-line small square balers #19  
Wildcat Ranch said:
Strange thing is, the cut side of the bale is under the strings, not on the side like on other balers. I think the knife needs to be mounted differently because of the straight-through arrangement.

Is this what Robert was referring too? I am trying picture this in my head. Can someone explain to me what the complaint from customers is?

/ In-line small square balers #20  
mark.r said:
Is this what Robert was referring too? I am trying picture this in my head. Can someone explain to me what the complaint from customers is?

When you grab the strings to pick up the bale you have all the cut ends of the bale jabbing your hand