In-line small square balers

/ In-line small square balers #1  

Wildcat Ranch

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TN65
I have been looking at the small in-line balers made by Hesston, Massey Ferguson and Challenger. Has anyone ran one of these?
In my area, most people are running JD and NH. I seen mostly Hesston and Challenger if they are doing the 3x3's or 3x4's.

We run a JD 468 which, is a 16x18 but we are only packing them at 55lb. We sell mostly to horse owners. Maybe switch to a 14x18 and keep them at 55lb? I can fit more 14x16's on my bale wagon and they also stack better. I would like everybody's $.02!

Thanks,
Dan

/ In-line small square balers #2  
The one advantage I see with an inline baler is it is easier to stay on the windrow. You just drive over it. I have never operated one so this is all from reading and thinking and is just my thoughts so take them however you want.

From what I read the strings are on the jagged edges of the bale so if you handle the bales you will get jabbed more often. Some customers do not care for this.

Also, you do not see the bales as easily like you would a NH or Deere baler. The bales are directly behind you and you do not see them until the next pass where as the NH and Deere balers you can easily see each bale as it comes off. If there is a problem with the baler you see it immediately and easily.

Also, you do not drive over the hay (kind of goes against the advantage but stay with me here), by not driving over the hay you do not have any hay getting caught up on the tractor, hitch and possibly the PTO (if you have a heavy windrow), also, you are limited on how big a windrow you can bale as your baling tractor has to be able clear the windrow and a smaller tractor like the TN does not have as much clearance.

/ In-line small square balers #3  
You can run an offset baler inline if you adapt the pto to constant velocity, convert to hydraulic drive (drive by hose [DBH] ) or use a separate power system. Old JDs can with a pony engine. About 16hp as I recall. You will still run throught the windrow, which can be a problem if you double or triple rake.

A cv joint can be made from a FWD car driveshaft or pretty much close to one can be made from two standard yokes.

Almost inline ! More easy to get someone to run the system who can't backup a train of tractor, baler and wagon.

/ In-line small square balers #4  
I never thought much about his until looking at the MF/Hesston PDF from their site. What about the advantage/disadvantage as far as road transport go. Wouldn't an inline be easier/more accomodating to driving to and from you baling site and then back to your homebase? Especially if you have to pull a kicker or a accumulator.

/ In-line small square balers
I didn't think about clearing the windrow. They are sometimes above the axle on the JD 5425 that we use. I was also looking at the road travel. Seems like they would trail real well. Would be nice not have to worry about mail boxes, or cars for that matter.
Just to triple check, we shouldn't have a problem making 55lb 14x18x41" hay bales right?

Dan

/ In-line small square balers #6  
Transport is my main concern as well. I can see where combining two windrows could be an issue. I could also see myself not doing that because my tractor is a lower horspower unit so perhaps windrow height would not be such an issue. I would absolutely love to find a good condition used MF1835 baler.

/ In-line small square balers #7  
Yes, you can easily make a 55 pound 14x18 bale.

As for road transport, a inline baler will be easier to transport. I do not worry about that as much as I am use to hauling the discbine around which is the same width (close to it I should say) as my baler.

/ In-line small square balers #8  
I rather like the inline design. Clearing the windrow is an issue which you also have when round baling and that can be controlled during raking. Moving the inlines along the road is far easier than an offset. Also hauling them doesnt require an over size permit. The problem of not seeing your bales until well after the fact can be significant. However, if you look at the big picture I think inlines look better than offsets.

/ In-line small square balers #9  
jimg said:
Moving the inlines along the road is far easier than an offset. Also hauling them doesnt require an over size permit.

I did not think of this but this is a good point. One that is potentially very important to me if ai ever want to haul to my grandparents property in Tidewater VA.

Using a NH565 vs. a MF1835 for comparison on a typical 102" wide gooseneck trailer . . .

The NH565 is 108" wide I am assuming from the outside of each wheel to each wheel.

The MF1835 is 93" wide again assuming from wheel to wheel.

That is a fairly significant difference . . . one I could live with having to deal with the other disadvantages of working with an inline baler.

/ In-line small square balers #10  
Well, it never dawned on me either until I started looking for a sq baler out of my 'tow it home' area. Mine (NH326) is coming from E NC and even w/ the oversize permit will need a wheel removed for transport. How much an oversize permit costs I dont know but I have the impression its not inexpensive.