Disc mower question

/ Disc mower question #1  

flusher

Tractor
Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.
I see quite a few disc mowers for sale on the Web

3b4b_12.jpg

Question: since disc mowers don't have conditioning rollers like a mo-co, is the disc mower used much for haying? If yes, how is the conditioning done?

/ Disc mower question #2  
The disc mower is about the only type mower used in this part of the country. Most hay is coastal bermuda or bahia grass and it doesn't require conditioning. As hot as it gets, a field can be cut one day and baled either the next day or the day after depending on how thick the grass is. If additional drying is needed, a tedder can be used to fluff the grass. Tedders are very good to use after cutting thick grass or if the cut grass is rained on.

/ Disc mower question #3  
The disc mower is basically just a modern version of the old sickle bar mower. It cuts the fields without conditioning but does so faster with less down time.

/ Disc mower question #4  
Pretty much what Jesse said. Even though I am in VA I am planning on going with a disc mower primarily because we will be using a lower horsepower tractor for mowing. It's either disc mower or haybine and I am not not really sure I want a haybine . . . at least as my only option. Both would be great but a small disc mower will be my first purchase. Using a tedder and planning around the weather makes up of not having the conditioning features of the larger mower/conditioner type cutters.

/ Disc mower question
JESSE1 said:
The disc mower is about the only type mower used in this part of the country. Most hay is coastal bermuda or bahia grass and it doesn't require conditioning. As hot as it gets, a field can be cut one day and baled either the next day or the day after depending on how thick the grass is. If additional drying is needed, a tedder can be used to fluff the grass. Tedders are very good to use after cutting thick grass or if the cut grass is rained on.

Thanks for the info.

/ Disc mower question #6  
They also sell discbines which have disc cutters and a conditioner versus haybines which have sickle cutters with a conditioner. They require higher horsepower to run.

/ Disc mower question #7  
Vicon makes a trick 3pt. dicsbine. I have been curious to talk to someone who has used one of these. Essentially the same as trailed discbine but set up like a 3pt. discmower. You have the extra weight of the conditioner but I would assume that if you have a good size tractor is would make much of a difference.

image001.jpg

/ Disc mower question #8  
Kuhn makes something similar as well.

/ Disc mower question #9  
jimg said:
Kuhn makes something similar as well.
I didn't know they did as well. Down the road once we upgrade our tractor I would almost be interested simply for transport reasons. I know transport keeps coming up and there are still many places where for example a center pivot trailed discbine would not be a problem. But on the same token there are also lots of places where the roads are tighter and more importantly with the urbanization the increased presence of idiots on the road in the early morning a 3pt. vertical fold 9ft. moco would be huge benefit on many of these back "B roads" as we call them.

/ Disc mower question #10  
You need a lot of tractor on those conditioner equipment models just for weight. They also don't behave as nice mowing corners as trailed and can be a @#%^ to hook up in a hurry.

That said, I would like to have one! I have small fields and it is wet here so conditioning is required.