Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    JD 5525 and 5093e Kubota SVL75

Default Weed Control - What is everybody using?

I sprigged 100 acres in bermuda last year. I am fighting weeds now, so maybe I can get them under control.

I used my grass works weed wiper 15' tractor mounted unit.

It has a 25 gallon sprayer and I use 5 quarts of cornerstone.

Here are some pics of the results:

.Mac Web Gallery

I missed some passes. Foamer is handy, but when you have your 2 year old in the cab it can be hard handing out crackers and keeping a line.

At night - even tougher. Do they make a glow in the dark foamer?

Any advice on chemicals?

Thanks,
    Darin
    ----------------------------------
    Darin Divinia
    DDR Longhorns
    Registered Texas Longhorns
    http://www.ddrlonghorns.com/
    Follow us on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/DDRLonghorns?ref=ts

Tractor
    John Deere 6605

Default Re: Weed Control - What is everybody using?

Quote Originally Posted by ddivinia

At night - even tougher. Do they make a glow in the dark foamer?

Any advice on chemicals?

Thanks,
    Darin
    I have a friend considering buying a weed wiper. How do you like yours?

5 quarts of cornerstone in a 25 gallon sprayer . Isn't that STRONG? I sprayed about 20 gallons yesterday and used 1 quart of Crossbow.

"glow in the dark foamer" sounds like a good idea, but people may be scared of radioactivity

Sorry, I can't help you on chemicals but I sure someone will chime in with some advice.

Good Luck

Tractor
    JD 6400

I've used Grazon and Weedmaster on pastures. Both require a Texas private pesticides applicator license to purchase.
    6400 John Deere w/ cab, JD 535 Baler, 997 ZTR Diesel, 72" 7 Iron deck, John Deere 855D 4x4 Diesel Gator

Richmond VA & Martha's Vineyard, People's Republik of Massachusetts
    Tractor
    Kubota B3030, Kubota M59 TLB

I find regular mowing at 3 inches eventually kills the weeds off. I don't like to spray poison where I live, and figure it'll come out of my well eventually.
    ----------------------------------------
    Charles

Kubota B3030
    Kubota M59 w/hydro thumb
    Neat stuff - ATI Preseeder, Hydraulic PHD, Wallenstein BX62r Chipper, Millonzi Grapple, CA 4n1 Bucket. Delta Hook Rear QA system.
    Too many other random attachments to list (or to own, per my wife) and a really bad tool addiction. But at least I haven't bought a dump truck or bulldozer. Yet.

WTA
    Platinum Member

my first couple of years on our giant bermuda pasture I was in a routine of spraying 2-4-D almost every month. It knocked out all the broadleaf weeds pretty good to where now all I have to do is go spot spray a couple of small spots that I'm still having trouble with bind weed. That stuff is hard to kill.
    At first we had a lot of nightshade and that was licked real fast with low rates of 24D.

I only used a wiper type rig out there once and that was with roundup to kill out some johnson grass. I've found it's a lot easier to control with mowing the bar ditch that it blows i from than trying to poison it. That ditch is about 6 feet deep and the county had been grading it about every 2 months to maintain the road and it was nearly impossible to get a tractor in there safely. I contoured it nicely where I can get in there with the tractor and just scalp it once a month now.

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

Quote Originally Posted by ddivinia
    ...100 acres in bermuda

Darin,

What is a weed wiper? Is that the name brand of a sprayer?

How long, or maybe I should say, how many acres can you spray with a 25 gallon tank?

Thanks,
    Eddie

Elite Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by rutwad
    I have a friend considering buying a weed wiper. How do you like yours?

5 quarts of cornerstone in a 25 gallon sprayer . Isn't that STRONG? I sprayed about 20 gallons yesterday and used 1 quart of Crossbow.

"glow in the dark foamer" sounds like a good idea, but people may be scared of radioactivity

Sorry, I can't help you on chemicals but I sure someone will chime in with some advice.

Good Luck
    Cornerstone recommends up to 10 qt mix for 25 gal. I might cut it back and put some Grazon P+D in there to help control the other weeds since cornerstone didn't impact them at all. 2-3 qt cornerstone and 5 qt grazon P+D. That should probably do the trick.

There has got to be some glow in the dark something I can put in the foamer...

This season is the first for the wiper. So far, I really like it. I don't have ot worry about wind drift. Also, here in Texas one of the hardest things to get out of a hay field is Johnson grass. With this wiper, it is not an issue.

Thanks,
    D.
    Darin Divinia
    DDR Longhorns
    Follow us on Facebook:

Elite Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by EddieWalker
    Darin,

What is a weed wiper? Is that the name brand of a sprayer?

How long, or maybe I should say, how many acres can you spray with a 25 gallon tank?

Thanks,
    Eddie
    Weedproblems

I did 35 acres with a tad under 50 gals.

My rows weren't perfect so I suspect I could have done with less, but oh well. First time really using it - can't complain.

D.
    Darin Divinia
    DDR Longhorns
    Follow us on Facebook:

Silver Member

Wiper application is really catching on around here too I've noticed - cheaper, faster, more earth-friendly. Works great for the real problem weeds like Johnson or in my case Dallis. I wouldn't worry about the occasional mustard or other low-growing weeds as it will soon get crowded out if you've got the ph and nutrients right, just spot spray some 2-4D on the worst patches. And why worry about marking your rows or mixing elaborate concoctions, easy to just hit what you missed a couple days later, keeping it simple is what the wiper method is all about.

Tractor
    John Deere 6605

Quote Originally Posted by Charlesaf3
    I find regular mowing at 3 inches eventually kills the weeds off. I don't like to spray poison where I live, and figure it'll come out of my well eventually.

This is good advice. Some cancer research suggest that cancer rate may be higher in people that were/are exposed to herbicides or pesticides. Weeds are the first to sprout, so things look really bad this time of year. Once the grass starts, keeping it mowed will choke out a lot of weeds.

I spray where I can't mow, and along the edges of almost everything. That cuts back tremendously on weed-eating.

Fads come and go. Green lawns have been around forever, maybe brown won't be too far off.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast