Insurance - State Farm, Farm Bureau, etc.

/ Insurance - State Farm, Farm Bureau, etc. #1  

ddivinia

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 5525 and 5093e Kubota SVL75
I have been a State Farm customer for 20+ years. I think I need to change companies. They are insisting that I convert from a residential home owners policy to a farm n ranch policy. Ok - no problem. What do we need to do. What is covered, etc.

Well, they want me to have a separate policy for my Cabana next to my pool. Can you believe it? It isn't a barn, it has a bathroom, grill, frig, etc. Clearly it should be part of my house coverage. Well, they want another $430 a year to cover it.

I am hearing good things about Farm Bureau.

Any experience?

Thanks,
Darin

/ Insurance - State Farm, Farm Bureau, etc. #2  
I have State Farm currently and the my agent who is a good friend as well is telling me just the opposite. She is still doing some checking with the underwriters but even with us running a horse boarding business from our home they may not require a farm/ranch policy. Of course it can differ state to state. Now my barn manager who also gives lessons on our property which we get a percentage cut of each lesson as the facility/land owner as to have instructors insurance which State Farm will NOT write for. For that she has to got to another local Insurance Company call AH&T.

Ironically Virginia being HUGE horse country a lady that works for AH&T in my hometown wrote the following article for this insurance publication that you may find of some help or interest concerning farm/ranch policies.

Understanding coverage gaps in farm/ranch policies

/ Insurance - State Farm, Farm Bureau, etc. #3  
For the record, I may still be getting a seperate ranch/farm policy once we convert the business over to an LLC. But I need to do some more research before I can make a decision.

/ Insurance - State Farm, Farm Bureau, etc. #4  
Farm Bureau has good ranch and auto insurance. I use American Farmers and Ranchers Insurance. They used to be Oklahoma Farmers Union, but recently bought out General Insurance and have expanded and changed the name. If there is an agent in your area they are hard to beat. Price and service wise both.

/ Insurance - State Farm, Farm Bureau, etc. #5  
I can't say enough bad things about State Farm insurance. You are not getting what you pay for. I haven't ever had a problem with their auto coverage, but had a home insured that was destroyed by fire. Our policy stated we had roughly $90,000 coverage. We got a check for $63,000. Didn't matter we had paid extra for "replacement coverage" and the house was appraised by their company for over $90,000. Suddenly they depreciated the house. First I'd ever heard of a house losing value like that from March to June. They are crooks plain and simple. Always glad to see you when you are there to pay your premiums, but as soon as you have a claim they'll bombard you with Gucci and Tommy Hillfiger clad adjusters and their experts. Then laugh at you all the way to the bank! Run don't walk to an attorney if you have to deal with State Farm!

/ Insurance - State Farm, Farm Bureau, etc. #6  
I had state farm insurance for more than 30 years... auto rate jumped from $500.00 to $900.00 for six months with no explanation as to why? I dropped them like a hot tator. Look at what they pulled after katrina! I am told that state farm agents really rake in the big bucks. Watched 60 minutes years ago and they interviewed a state farm agent in a small town. He said he would be run out of town if the people knew how much money he made!

mark

/ Insurance - State Farm, Farm Bureau, etc. #7  
You guys are scaring me. Maybe I need to looking at my rates. They are not that bad to be honest.

/ Insurance - State Farm, Farm Bureau, etc. #8  
State Farm wouldn't insure me because I had a farm, despite no animals or bulk fuel tanks.

/ Insurance - State Farm, Farm Bureau, etc. #9  
Only thing I can suggest is that we are seeing difference by state. I have had no issues with State Farm and you should see some of things I have had issured with them . . . items that other companies don't even have listings for.

/ Insurance - State Farm, Farm Bureau, etc.
I am going to shop it with Farm Bureau and others to see how things compare.

D