I just bought a disc and need a little help?

/ I just bought a disc and need a little help? #1  

BryanM

Gold Member
Tractor
John deere 2155, ford 1600
I pickd up a 10 ft transort disc today. I am not sure what kind it is no tags and the previous owner didnt know. I will post a pic latter.

a couple questions: First the disc has a hydraulic cylinder with only one hose, how does that work? Are their more than one type quick connector I can not get the coupler hooked up. I have a jd tractor and dont know what type disc or cylinder it is?

Second how fast and how deep are you under normal situations suppose to disc at? I tried it and the disc seemed to go from 2-4 inches in. Any comments or help I will apreciate thanks.:D I hope it doesnt rain tommorrow!!

/ I just bought a disc and need a little help? #2  
Most newer tractors take a standard Pioneer fitting. If you have an older JD(4020 vintage) you may need a different fitting or you the disc may not have a standard fitting on the hose if your tractor is newer. The fittings are easy to change(usually) if you need to switch.
You have a single acting cylinder on the disc. It just raises it clear of the ground and the weight and release of pressure drops it.
If the ground is hard 2" to 4" may be all you get on the first pass. Adding weight can help it bite in better.

/ I just bought a disc and need a little help? #3  
Chh was right is a single acting cylinder. I don't know how your tractor shoudl be set up to do this but on my ford 3910 I would have to plug that line into the pressure out hydraulic port and to raise it I woudl raise it like anything else, but to lower it I have to put my remote into float mode and shut it off at the depth I want it. To keep your depth the same they make a hydraulic cylinder stop that simply clamps on the chrome part of the cylinder at the depth you want, most tractor/farm supply shops would have them. Most discs work better the faster you go but there is a too fast, probably in the neighborhood of 5 mph would be a good starting point then go up from there if you can and see how it works. As for not digging in deep it will vary depending onthe soil, sometimes on hard ground that has not been worked in a few years you will need to plow it. You can get it worked by running across it several times with just a disc but you also pack the ground bad several inches down by doing this.

/ I just bought a disc and need a little help?
Well I just got back in from messing with it and I had no luck with the cylinder. I plugged it in and the cylinder retracted but When I switched the hose around I couldnt even move the lever (like the lever was stuck) to the hydraulics. I shut it down and messed with the lever and then it satarted to move again.

/ I just bought a disc and need a little help?
Does anyone know where or what size od duble acting cylinder would be okay and where to get one? The cyl I have now is aprox 22" closed 2-1' eyelets but I dont know what length stroke is? Anyone have an idea?:D

/ I just bought a disc and need a little help? #6  
Most hydraulic cylinders can be used as a single or a double acting cylinder. To set it up as a single acting cylinder, a hydraulic line is run to one port and the second port has an air breather. To convert it to a double acting cylinder, remove the air breather and install a second hydraulic line.