OLD SICKLE BAR MOWER IN THICK HAY???

/ OLD SICKLE BAR MOWER IN THICK HAY??? #1  

steveky

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota/ L3010HST, BX 1800
I'm trying to cut some really thick hay with an old Ford sicklebar mower. It keeps balling up around the pto shaft when I make the next pass. Has anyone ever used a shield under their mower to keep cut hay out of the pto shaft. I'm thinking a new shaft tube may help as part of mine is missing, but I don't think thats all of my problems. Do these old mowers just not do good in really thick hay or what? I know my grand dad used to use one, but I've had little experience with actually using one. Just looking for some ideals. I know I should have cut it weeks ago but its been too wet to get in the field. Thanks for your help.

/ OLD SICKLE BAR MOWER IN THICK HAY??? #2  
Old sickle bar's don't like tough cutting conditions but when tuned up can work ok. Sounds like you know how to fix your first problem. Does it leave uncut strips or plug all the time? Those are some of the normal problems worn or out of adjustment units have.

/ OLD SICKLE BAR MOWER IN THICK HAY??? #3  
The shaft tube will help and should be there in any case. :D :D

As stated they do need to be kept maintained and with a sharp bar to do there best work. They were in use for many a year so they can do the job.:D :D

/ OLD SICKLE BAR MOWER IN THICK HAY???
I got that mower running great. I bolted a piece of old conveyor belt to the hitch bar slot. The belt extended about even with the back of the mower and was around 12 inches wide. I had the back end tied on with some cable ties but it didn't stay on very long. But it really stopped the cut hay from the previous pass from balling up. The cover that goes over the spring was out of position and I moved it back. It cut great and only had to clean off the pto shaft 1 time. Now if the new used baler I bought in december works I'll be in great shape.

/ OLD SICKLE BAR MOWER IN THICK HAY??? #6  
Had the same issue years ago, I just put a piece of cardboard under the pto shaft.

mark

/ OLD SICKLE BAR MOWER IN THICK HAY??? #7  
steveky said:
I'm trying to cut some really thick hay with an old Ford sicklebar mower. It keeps balling up around the pto shaft when I make the next pass. Has anyone ever used a shield under their mower to keep cut hay out of the pto shaft. I'm thinking a new shaft tube may help as part of mine is missing, but I don't think thats all of my problems. Do these old mowers just not do good in really thick hay or what? I know my grand dad used to use one, but I've had little experience with actually using one. Just looking for some ideals. I know I should have cut it weeks ago but its been too wet to get in the field. Thanks for your help.
Ditch the sicklebar for harvesting hay and go to Valley Equipment in Science Hill, KY and get you a Haymaxx Drum mower.
T-165drum_mower.jpg

/ OLD SICKLE BAR MOWER IN THICK HAY??? #8  
Look for a Minneapolis Sickle Bar Mower. Call MO or 105 106 107 . Text me at 1-260-703-1910 it cell
Thank all you. From Rick Loy from Portland In 47371

/ OLD SICKLE BAR MOWER IN THICK HAY??? #9  
It should cut thick hay just fine, but a missing or jagged shaft tube can surely cause it to wrap. You are keeping the frame level correct?

/ OLD SICKLE BAR MOWER IN THICK HAY??? #10  
I use a piece of old tin tied under the lift arms and over the bottom drawbar.