Offset disc - checkout an old hunk o iron

/ Offset disc - checkout an old hunk o iron #1  

flusher

Tractor
Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.
Got this 7-ft offset disc as a freebie from a neighbor.

DSCF0292Small.jpg

Replaced the 5 worn discs on the right front axle ($55). Freed up all the moving parts. New grease fittings. Hooked it up this AM to the Mahindra 5525 (55 hp engine, 45 hp pto, probably 40-45 hp on the drawbar). Checked it out driving clockwise in 3rd gear low range (4-5 mph). The soil is pretty hard (no measurable rainfall since late Feb). The disc works fairly well but needs to be adjusted to get better results. I let the drawbar swing free to minimize side draft on the tractor. The 5525 handled it with ease. Hardly knew the disc was on the drawbar.

This old thingy has two primary adjustments.

DSCF0293Small.jpg

The rope on the left is attached to the mechanism that releases the two parts of the disc when making turns so the cutting angle goes to zero. Here's a closeup of that release gizmo (ran over that piece of 2X lumber with the disc so I know the blades are pretty sharp).

DSCF0294Small.jpg

The rope on the right works the mechanism that allows you to set the cutting angle by moving the tractor forward slowly while pulling on the rope.

There's a chain on that release mechanism that apparently gets hooked onto the tractor so the mechanism trips when making a right turn. Haven't found a good place yet on the 5525 to attach this chain and it's awkward pulling on that rope while steering through a turn.

DSCF0295Small.jpg

Looks like the hitch needs to be readjusted. It appears to be set so the right front digs in aggressively (which probably explains the worn blades on that axle).

DSCF0296Small.jpg

I'll level the hitch and see what happens. Stay tuned.

/ Offset disc - checkout an old hunk o iron #2  
Ah, an oldie. Well, as long as it works I guess. I still see a few of those old ones here and there. I'm sure someone can tell you who made it, what year it was and what.....

Usually, on disks, the fronts tend to wear out faster then the rear. On my disks, I found that it's a 2:1 ratio. You can change the fronts twice before the rear needs to be replaced. If you ever get a chance, try those cut out blades (aka notched). They tend to chew up material much better then solid blades. Usually you just need the fronts to be notched and the backs can be solid.

/ Offset disc - checkout an old hunk o iron
Kaliburz said:
Ah, an oldie. Well, as long as it works I guess. I still see a few of those old ones here and there. I'm sure someone can tell you who made it, what year it was and what.....

Usually, on disks, the fronts tend to wear out faster then the rear. On my disks, I found that it's a 2:1 ratio. You can change the fronts twice before the rear needs to be replaced. If you ever get a chance, try those cut out blades (aka notched). They tend to chew up material much better then solid blades. Usually you just need the fronts to be notched and the backs can be solid.

Thanks for the info. I think it's an old Towner disc. Don't have info on the model number yet.

/ Offset disc - checkout an old hunk o iron #4  
Most tractor's drawbar horsepower is ten percent lower then the pto power.
The notched blades are only recommended when there are not an abundance of stones as they will bend.
The right side with the two gangs being so far apart would cut deeper then the left side of the disc. You could add some weight onto the front of the gangs on the left to equalize the cutting ability.