10 Wheel rake - pull behind a truck?

/ 10 Wheel rake - pull behind a truck? #11  
Can't hurt giving it a try. Might be a little shy for pulling power though!!:D :D :D

/ 10 Wheel rake - pull behind a truck? #12  
Wheel rakes work best in straight lines. We rake around the field twice and then do the rest on rows. To make the turn the rake needs to be lifted partially. A pickup would have trouble making that turn even if you had some sort of hydraulics rigged up. I'd recommend that you go with the tractor if you can.

/ 10 Wheel rake - pull behind a truck?
chh said:
Wheel rakes work best in straight lines. We rake around the field twice and then do the rest on rows. To make the turn the rake needs to be lifted partially. A pickup would have trouble making that turn even if you had some sort of hydraulics rigged up. I'd recommend that you go with the tractor if you can.

Yeah - the turns are hard on it.

I think I will be buying another cab tractor once I get this one paid for...

D.

/ 10 Wheel rake - pull behind a truck? #14  
My wife raked for a couple of years with our jeep. The jeep had 37 in tires,4 to 1 terra low transfer case with 2 wd low range,7 in lift, locked front and rear,4.88 gears. She could put it in 2wd low range 3rd gear, set the hand throttle and rake all day. We did put an electric over hyd power unit in it off of an old tommy lift gate to fold the rake. She liked it better than any of the tractors because it rode better and was faster between fields. But even with the short wheel base it still did not turn as well in small fields as a tractor does. The best part was she would pull the top (of the jeep) and rake in her bikini.

/ 10 Wheel rake - pull behind a truck? #15  
On a couple occasions when I was doing more hay ground than I do these days, I've had all the tractors tied up baling, mowing, pulling wagons in from the field, or a dozen other chores. I HAD to rake with the truck. There was a couple issues. Ground clearance and the tendency to "let 'er rip". The truck would ride so good compared to a tractor that my operators (wife, son or daughters) would be raking at road speed if I didn't watch them close.

My dad had an old Jeep with a rear PTO and 3-point hitch. He actually BALED hay with it a couple times. Dad in the drivers seat and his favorite ol' dog Dutch in the passengers seat.

/ 10 Wheel rake - pull behind a truck? #16  
I would worry about fire from the cat converter... they get red hot!

mark

/ 10 Wheel rake - pull behind a truck? #17  
A hot shot city guy bought up a bunch of farm land here and wouldn't listen to anyone for haying advice. One day he came out to check on his farmhard and pulled into the field in his brand new H2 hummer and parked it on a windrow.

Burned to the ground and set the field on fire too.

/ 10 Wheel rake - pull behind a truck?
slowzuki said:
A hot shot city guy bought up a bunch of farm land here and wouldn't listen to anyone for haying advice. One day he came out to check on his farmhard and pulled into the field in his brand new H2 hummer and parked it on a windrow.

Burned to the ground and set the field on fire too.

I hate it when that happens!

D.

/ 10 Wheel rake - pull behind a truck? #19  
i raked 4 aces with my bronco . then the neighbors kid and my help were driving it a couples days later and the fire department had to be called . lol
they came and put it out.sure did smelled bad for months...

/ 10 Wheel rake - pull behind a truck? #20  
Anyone used a Kubota RTV 900 to pull rake? 21hp with hydrualics. Think it would work?