Baler-moly vs lithium grease

/ Baler-moly vs lithium grease #1  

flusher

Tractor
Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.
The ops manual for my newly acquired MF-124 two-twine baler specifies lithium base grease for the lube points. Any problem using moly grease instead? Seems like moly grease is easier to find around here than the lithium type.

/ Baler-moly vs lithium grease #2  
Lithium is a base or carrier for the actual lubricant and the lubricant that is carried could have moly in it. So it isn't a question of Lithium vs Moly. It is a question of what base is compatible with your use and with what is already in there and then whether or a lubricant with Moly should be used in that base.

Not sure this answers the whole question but you can compare compatibility of bases here: +Grease Compatibility

The difference between Lithium base grease and Lithium base grease with moly is that the one in moly will tend to stay in place a lot better.

/ Baler-moly vs lithium grease #4  
flusher said:
The ops manual for my newly acquired MF-124 two-twine baler specifies lithium base grease for the lube points. Any problem using moly grease instead? Seems like moly grease is easier to find around here than the lithium type.

Moly is great for those of us who don't grease as much as we should because the moly stays even when the grease leaves. Moly shouldn't be used however in an kind of closed or over temp sensitive app. for my truck for example we don't use Moly on brake cam tubes because the moly will build up and bind the shaft after too many greasings. For things like pivit points however, Moly is the way to go.

My recommendation is to buy the absolute best grease you can get your hands on. If you break down your cost of servicing for the year grease is usually a fraction of what the replacement parts are. For something like baler lube points I'd go with grease that has little washout (3ish percent) and a good 4 ball weld test. Compare specs, it's worth investing your time.