Saw this today, right behind my house . . .

/ Saw this today, right behind my house . . . #1  

mark.r

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE
Never seen one of these in person before. Didn't even know there was one local. I sat and watched him finish up the field, pretty neat machine. It seems just as much a "truck" as it does a tractor. It sounded as if it had air assisted hydraulic brakes on it. I belive it was a JCB Fastrac 185-65.

IMG00047.jpg

IMG00048.jpg

I always thought these things were crazy expensive but looking at prices they seem to be reasonable. It would seem if you were looking for a good baler/spray/spreader tractor without a loader they would be a decent possibility. This one for example . . .
http://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=5342994&GUID=ABFF39CCA02E41E6B02701A631A4CE3A

/ Saw this today, right behind my house . . . #2  
You do see customer operators using JCB, FENDT and other European tractors that can travel from 35-45 MPH. This way a custom operator can get from one customer to the next customer quicker. They will not bale hay any faster but reduce the travel time.

/ Saw this today, right behind my house . . . #3  
My 95hp U1000 Unimog had front and rear PTO, four hydraulic remotes, front DIN plate, and optional front and rear 3 point hitches. With appropriate tires, it could pull any ground engaging implement. It would also go 50 mph on the highway.

Why Ma Benz never marketed these things in North America is beyond me. They are perfect for the western plains ranchers.

Mercedes Benz made a MB-Trac that looks very much like the one in your photo. Check this out. YouTube - COrn cutting, Unimog and MB-Trac

/ Saw this today, right behind my house . . .
I rode in an older Unimog a couple years ago. After that I alway wanted an old one to restore and drive around. I have seen them in Germany being used by the government to mow/sweep/etc. so I did assume they had some sort or PTO/hydraulic power take off. Very cool indeed. I am some what fascinated by these JCB Fastracs but the fact that they don't have loaders they are not very useful to me when it comes to 100hp or larger tractors.

/ Saw this today, right behind my house . . . #5  
mark.r said:
I rode in an older Unimog a couple years ago. After that I alway wanted an old one to restore and drive around. I have seen them in Germany being used by the government to mow/sweep/etc. so I did assume they had some sort or PTO/hydraulic power take off. Very cool indeed. I am some what fascinated by these JCB Fastracs but the fact that they don't have loaders they are not very useful to me when it comes to 100hp or larger tractors.

You can get a loader for a JCB Fastrac. There are a couple brands that make them.

/ Saw this today, right behind my house . . .
Robert_in_NY said:
You can get a loader for a JCB Fastrac. There are a couple brands that make them.

Hmmm, interesting. I wasn't aware. OK so go along with me here. What would be the reasons to NOT buy one. IF, you had a dealer relatively near, and you were going to use it for mowing, square/round baling, light tillage such as discing/planting grass for hay and loader work such as loading/moving hay. Same reason that most people don't buy NH TV145's for such duty?

/ Saw this today, right behind my house . . . #7  
They are used around here to pull large liquid manure tanks to pump dairy farm manure pits and move from farm to farm.

mark

/ Saw this today, right behind my house . . . #8  
unimogs are neat. If I saw one at a non crazy price I'd have trouble resisting.

/ Saw this today, right behind my house . . . #9  
Charlesaf3 said:
unimogs are neat. If I saw one at a non crazy price I'd have trouble resisting.
Here ya go.

Unimog® Exchange

Good luck with the non-crazy price. :(

I got mine for a good deal a few years ago and now I'm kicking myself for selling it. Dumb dumb dumb...

/ Saw this today, right behind my house . . . #10  
mark.r said:
Hmmm, interesting. I wasn't aware. OK so go along with me here. What would be the reasons to NOT buy one. IF, you had a dealer relatively near, and you were going to use it for mowing, square/round baling, light tillage such as discing/planting grass for hay and loader work such as loading/moving hay. Same reason that most people don't buy NH TV145's for such duty?

Well the smallest one being 165 hp and 15,000 lbs I would think it would definetly be overkill for mowing and light tillage. I can see where a custom baler might use one to cut down on travel times, especially if he had other work for it doing the rest of the year. I have never seen one of them, but it looks like they are a real beast. I can't imagine meeting one running 40 mph down some of our roads around here.:eek: