I need a round baler!

/ I need a round baler! #11  
You are going to need a bigger tractor than you mentioned to run a 605 to its potential. I used a 4020 JD on a 605 (C or D) that I had. It was a load on the 4020 with a full bale. You will need to stay in the 4x5 range of baler if you want to run it with 60 hp. IMO
Weight of the tractor is another factor. My MF 2746 A recommends 65 pto hp min. 80 pto is recomended and a min of 6000 lbs of tractor weight. A round baler can really push a tractor around on hills.

/ I need a round baler! #12  
Depends what 60 hp too, the little 4x4 rounder behind my Kubota L5030HSTC is hardly noticable compared to a square baler in fairly hilly fields. I'm sure a 4x5 would be a load on the hill, I'm sure a 5x5 would be way too much simply for weight of the full baler.

/ I need a round baler!
Well, i looked at a Zetor 7711 cab tractor yesterday that has 67 PTO HP. It would handle it a lot better since it has more power and weighs more. Also that case 8455 is a 4x6 twine baler but i would just make a 4x5 with it to keep the weight down. Plus 4x6s aren't as stable as 4x5s.

/ I need a round baler! #14  
If you plan on baling very much you will want a cab. I did it for years without it and the only thing worse than not having a cab is having one with air that doesn't work. The Zetor would be closer, but would be better on the 4x6 than the 5x6 Vermeer. I see and have run 120 hp tractors on 5x6 balers. 4x6 bales are stable if you make a good square shouldered bale. I have only had 1 fall over this year. It rolled down a hill and flipped over when it hit a dip. I made sure I ejected bales a little more carefully after that.;)
I'm not familiar with the Case-IH model your mentioning. Some models where made by Hesston and some by New Holland if I remember correctly.

/ I need a round baler!
The 8455 model was made by hesston. It only has about 3,000-4,000 bales on it. It comes with a monitor.

So it sounds like a 4x6 would be better for me with the horsepower i'm running. I just don't want to get a tractor with more than about 80hp for fuel consumption reasons.

The zetor does have a cab with air conditioning that works(at the moment)

/ I need a round baler!
matt21 said:
The 8455 model was made by hesston. It only has about 3,000-4,000 bales on it. It comes with a monitor.

So it sounds like a 4x6 would be better for me with the horsepower i'm running. I just don't want to get a tractor with more than about 80hp for fuel consumption reasons.

The zetor does have a cab with air conditioning that works(at the moment)

Also, the baler is a '96 model. Does a baler that old still have what it takes to bale 3,000 bales per year?

/ I need a round baler! #17  
Maybe....I have seen balers with 20,000 bales on them that were ready to go into the field and work and I have seen balers with 5000 bales(or less) that needed extensive work before they would ever be field ready. All that said round balers are not that complex of a machine and all in generally speaking 4000 bales isn't much. Has it been stored under cover when it wasn't working? If it has set out its entire life the bearings on the rollers may not last long. Sun and weather is not very good on the belts either. If you can hook it up to a tractor and run it a bit it should tell you a lot. The baler should be fairly quiet. Listen for bearings squeaking and rattles or grinding in the pickup area. The chains should run smoothly and be adjusted so that they aren't running with a lot of slack. Sprockets should not be worn to the point the are sharp on the points. The price you quoted is pretty cheap for that model.

/ I need a round baler!
The baler has been kept in a barn most of it's life. It has been sitting idle for about 5 years though. Does that hurt to let them sit that long?

/ I need a round baler! #19  
just check the belts and belt joiners (if its got them, some are continuous belts, some are joined) keep an eye out for cracks coming from the joiners, tears and gashes etc as the belts can become hard over time and will continually crack out, also look at the sides of the belts and make sure they have not been rubbing due to not tracking properly, this is usually caused by a bearing failure etc, because 1 belt isn't all that expensive but a full set can add up.

/ I need a round baler! #20  
I don't know if anything that would be hurt by just sitting unless it was the belts and tires if it was under cover. If it has sensors on the baler that go with the monitor, check that something didn't eat all the wiring off also. The bearings in the rollers generally are not all that expensive or to hard to change( belts may have to be removed) but you don't want one to fail while baling. Hot chunks of metal out of a flopping roller falling into dry hay can make for an interesting day.;)
Get it hooked up to a tractor and let it all turn for a bit if you can. Run the door and tie mechanism thru a few cycles while you are at it. A smaller tractor can spin it over if it is just setting.