Need advice on Plow for 75hp Tractor

/ Need advice on Plow for 75hp Tractor #1  

Red Raider

I have a 75 horse 2 WD tractor to plow about 15-20 acres once or twice a year in East Texas. It has not been plowed for at least 40 years. I think I need a 3 or 4 bottom plow like a JD 145 (or 1350-1450) or a 1H 720 like the one belonging to oleoz. Question: What does the group think about a JD 2755 handling a 4 bottom with 16" shares? Some people say to allow 20 hp per blade and some say 15 to 20. My thinking is to get the plow and then get a good, used tandem disk for seedbed preparation. Thanks for the information and viewpoints.

/ Need advice on Plow for 75hp Tractor #2  
It would depend on your soil. Soft sand or nice loamy soil, yes, a 4 bottom. Clay or rocky? Maybe.
Some one else will hop on and add some answers.

/ Need advice on Plow for 75hp Tractor #3  
Its all about the soil. How tough and how dry. May want to ask some neighbours. Here it would be three bottoms on unbroken land, 4 if it had been worked recently. The three bottom will pull faster anyways, might not be much slower.

/ Need advice on Plow for 75hp Tractor #4  
75 hp is right on the fine line of enough/not enough power for 4-bottoms. As mentioned, it'll depend on your local soil conditions. Also to consider is tractor weight. It takes a 7500 to 8500 lb tractor to pull 4 plows in my area.

3X16"'s @ 5mph would take you roughly 9 hours to plow 20 acres. 4X16"'s would definately slow you down. Figure 4+ mph and about 7-1/2 hours. Fuel consumption would go up (per hr) with a bigger plow. Figure that to be a wash between the 2. All things being equal, 3 plows would be a much easier day for the tractor. Personally, I'd favor a smaller plow at a faster speed. But don't try to plow any faster than 5mph. Hard on equipment....

If I were going to be plowing 100 acres a year, I MIGHT look for the biggest plow I could horse along. 20 acres and no more than a days work, I'd give the tractor a break.

/ Need advice on Plow for 75hp Tractor #5  
Does the 2755 have a cab? If so, you'll handle 4 16"'s as the tractor would be around 8500 lbs, maybe a little over. I had a 1988 2755 with sound guard, 18.4 x 30's, 2wd, and it would walk the dog on a 4 bottom plow in normal conditions. If the tractor's in good shape, she's probably turning a bit more than 75 hp. Not to get off topic, but I had the 2755 at the dealer years ago, having an A/C put in (good old sound guard cabs), and they put it on the dyno and it was turning 94 horsepower, and I had done nothing but enjoy the tractor since buying it (no turning up the fuel). That is a VERY good tractor, well balanced, well made, and it pulls/runs bigger than 75 hp, at least mine did (pulled a 530 baler pretty easily, 15 ft. bush hog, harrows, even chopped some corn with it in a pinch, and it handled all of very well), and I know of several in our area that do, people pull 14 ft. harrows with them here in Georgia red clay.

Dadgum, this is making me wish I hadn't traded the 2755 in on the 6430 (though I gotta say that cab sure is nice).

/ Need advice on Plow for 75hp Tractor
Carl, it does have a cab & is in good shape. We bought it new in '89. Only has had periodic weekend use. Problem is some of this ground is hard packed due to years of cattle & no tillage. Tks.

/ Need advice on Plow for 75hp Tractor #7  
I would be inclined to go for the 3 bottom and go faster.

I can't see any problems with ploughing at 6 - 7 mph is the tractor will pull it at that speed - most ploughing in the UK is done at about that speed.

/ Need advice on Plow for 75hp Tractor #8  
Grrrr said:
I would be inclined to go for the 3 bottom and go faster.

I can't see any problems with ploughing at 6 - 7 mph is the tractor will pull it at that speed - most ploughing in the UK is done at about that speed.

From what I've seen, most of the older plows used in England are a different style of bottom and the newer plows are high speed plows, which aren't very common here. Moldboard plows are more of a novelty item than a farm implement here these days. The older plows (mid-1970's and older) we have just don't do well over 5mph. Could be a difference in soil structure/types also.

/ Need advice on Plow for 75hp Tractor #9  
Farmwithjunk said:
From what I've seen, most of the older plows used in England are a different style of bottom and the newer plows are high speed plows, which aren't very common here. Moldboard plows are more of a novelty item than a farm implement here these days. The older plows (mid-1970's and older) we have just don't do well over 5mph. Could be a difference in soil structure/types also.

Yes, that is probably the case. Didn't think of the differences across the water.

The 1970s ploughs are fairly useless for anything other than match ploughing here, but more recent ploughs are still relied upon a lot.

/ Need advice on Plow for 75hp Tractor #10  
I will chime in on this thread also and suggest you look for a plow that is a 3 bottom frame with a 4th add on. Then if your tractor can't pull the 4 bottoms, you just drop the 4th bottom off and you have a 3 bottom with spare parts if needed.

I pulled a 4-16 with my 7710-II which was originally 87pto hp (2wd and cab). It pulled the plow fine as long as the ground conditions were proper. Too much moisture and you will be spinning, if the ground is too dry and hard you will be fighting to get the plow in the ground.

This year I pulled a 3-14 behind my TN65 over 40 acres with little trouble.